Help with Penn 49

Started by westcoaster, June 15, 2012, 04:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster

Hi Folks,

First post here, found this forum looking for info on my Penn 49.  It looks like there is some great info here!

Anyways I have an old Penn 49 that I am wanting to fix up and get ready for some bottom fishing and am having trouble with the free spool operation.  All the other aspects of the rod function great, but the free spool does not.  Taking everything apart did not show any mechanical issues that I could see, but perhaps I don't know what to look for.  I have narrowed it down to two potential areas, but I am wondering if anyone can comment on this issue.  Is there something specific to look or, or a quirk in the set up?  Either the eccentric lever and eccentric cam are not aligned properly or the eccentric jack, pinion yoke and pinion are either assembled wrong or they have been worn down or broken some how.  Should the eccentric jack be up or down when the arm is set to free?  Or could this perhaps be an issue with the drag some how?  When I flip the forward eccentric arm to FREE, all I am pulling against is the drag and if I loosen the drag up line will play out but that is against the drag not free spool. 

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

franky

Quote from: westcoaster on June 15, 2012, 04:16:59 PM
Hi Folks,

I have an old Penn 49 that I am having trouble with the free spool operation.  Taking everything apart did not show any mechanical issues that I could see, but perhaps I don't know what to look for.  Should the eccentric jack be up or down when the arm is set to free?  Or could this perhaps be an issue with the drag some how?  When I flip the forward eccentric arm to FREE, all I am pulling against is the drag and if I loosen the drag up line will play out but that is against the drag not free spool. 

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Hello Westcoaster,

Its hard to say without some pics, but based on what your description, I'll give it a shot.

The first thing that I would do is dismantle the right sideplate.  Take a look at the pinion that is in the center of the inner sideplate.  If the casting lever is in the "up" position that pinion should be pertruding out from the bridge plate.  This happens so that the pinion  grabs the base of the spool shaft and the reel is therefore engaged and ready to crank and fight a fish.

Then, you should move the casting lever "down" and that pinion shluld go into the brigdge plate where it is either flush or sitting below the surface area of the bridge plate.  This happens so that the pinion is away from the base of the spool shaft and thus is ready to cast or freespool.  If the pinion is not sitting flush or below the bridgeplate, you might want to check the "fins" on the eccentric jack to be sure the angle of the fins are positioned high enough...if not, just carefully bend the fins up a little.  You also should check the clutch springs to ensure that they are also not worn or broken.

That should be the source of your problem.

Also, if the reel has bearings, you might want to check that the bearings are not frozen.  If they are frozen, that may also be the cause of your spool not being able to freespool.

Give it a try and let us know of your findings.... :)

Bryan Young

It could also be as simple as flipping the pinion gear yoke.  If you pull it out, and look closely, one side will be a little worn and you can see an angle ground into the yoke.  That will need to engage with the eccentric.

If you provide pics with it assembled, with the right side plate off, there may be other clues towards your problem.

And Welcome to the site. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

westcoaster

OK, I think, even though not at home with reel in hand, that I may have found the problem.  Based on what Bryan Young and franky said, as well this picture I found on the web, I can determine that the fins of the eccentric jack go on TOP of the pinion yoke, not UNDER.  Based on franky's description I now understand how the pinion assembly works, and can see how the jack needs to push the yolk into the pinion not pull it up for down.  Is the assembly in this picture somewhat correct?

If thats all I have to do, I am pretty excited to hit the water!

Do these reels like one kind of line better than the next?

Cheers!

Bryan Young

depending on the type of spool you have.  If 3 piece (looks like a collar in the center of the spool), linen.

Other spools, mono.

Brass, may also use monel (I think that is what it's called) or soft SS wire line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Quote from: westcoaster on June 15, 2012, 08:09:45 PM
OK, I think, even though not at home with reel in hand, that I may have found the problem.  Based on what Bryan Young and franky said, as well this picture I found on the web, I can determine that the fins of the eccentric jack go on TOP of the pinion yoke, not UNDER.  Based on franky's description I now understand how the pinion assembly works, and can see how the jack needs to push the yolk into the pinion not pull it up for down.  Is the assembly in this picture somewhat correct?

If thats all I have to do, I am pretty excited to hit the water!

Do these reels like one kind of line better than the next?

Cheers!

Yes, yes...Now you got it!  The eccentric goes on TOP.  Well, hopefully when you get home it solves the problem.  Nice pic. 

westcoaster

As far as spots to oil vs. grease.  Are there spots that need one or the other specifically or is just oil at moving part OK?

Thanks again!

franky

There is a difference between oil and grease.  Oil is thin and grease is thick. 

Put a small drop of oil on the bearing or bushing only.  You do this especially if you do a lot of casting and need a very good freespool.  However, in your first posting, you mentioned that you were bottom fishing.  I assume that means from a boat.  If that is the case, you could use either oil or grease on the bearing.  If you are ONLY bottom fishing from a boat and do NOT cast and simply drop your line down, then I would recommend using grease on the bearings.

Aside from that, GREASE EVERYTHING UP.  Grease last longer than oil and it'll keep everything smooth.

Good Luck... :)

westcoaster

So I stripped her down again and lowe and behold the pinion yoke was flipped 180 degrees the wrong way and the eccentric jack arms were hooked under the arm. So assembled correctly now , lubed up and full of line. Ready for some fish.

Thanks again for your help all!

Bryan Young

Awesome WestCoaster.  Glad it worked out.  Now catch some fish and post away. :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!