Improving drag start up

Started by OkobojiEagle, January 15, 2014, 03:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkobojiEagle

I apologize if this post should be in another forum... I am attempting to improve the smoothness at start up of my spinning reel drags.  Background: Abu Cardinal 802 spinning reels.  Drag stack is two carbon discs sandwiched between three metal discs, all approximately 1" diameter.  The spool and drag stack sits on two bearings.  I will be using TSI 321 in the bearings.  Till now I've been running the stack dry.  My goal is protecting 4lb flourocarbon line while bass fishing relatively open water and not maximizing the drag pressure.  6 - 8lb bass are the largest I expect to find.

Question: Should I leave everything dry as I have?  Should I coat the metal discs with TSI 321 and leave the carbon discs dry? Should I coat all of the discs with Shimano drag grease? Should I coat the metal discs with TSI 321 and coat the carbon discs with the drag grease?

Thanks for your ideas...

oe

Keta

Quote from: OkobojiEagle on January 15, 2014, 03:45:26 PMQuestion: Should I leave everything dry as I have?  Should I coat the metal discs with TSI 321 and leave the carbon discs dry? Should I coat all of the discs with Shimano drag grease? Should I coat the metal discs with TSI 321 and coat the carbon discs with the drag grease?

Thanks for your ideas...

oe

I wouldn't use the TSI on the drag disks.  I'd try Cal's lite drag grease, the purple stuff.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Shimano drag grease will be fine, but I prefer using Cal's lite drag grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I'm almost done with my tub of Shimano drag grease and have really liked it. I will buy Cal's next, but if you have Shimano then their is nothing wrong with it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

see if you can install three carbon fiber drag washers in the top of the spool.  grease these drag washers with cal's grease, or the shimano drag grease if that is what you have.  you will be amazed at the difference.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thedw

i think TSI in the bearings is fine. BUT ONLY IN THE BEARINGS.. make sure the TSI is completely dry before assembling.

as for the drag discs, use carbontex its the best.

for grease I use carls drag grease! awesome stuff! but if u want, anyother teflon based grease is fine!

LTM

Well, Ive got a smidge of all three greases and either of the lite greases (Cals/Shimano) will be great. No TSI on the metal washers, just a thin film of the light grease. Make sure you get most of the excess grease off the carbon fiber washers, I wouldnt wipe them bone dry. This drag stack sits on top of bearings so it would be great to test the lubing of the bearings if you had an extra spool as I do with all my spinners. This way you would be better able to determine the difference between packing the bearings with grease vs cleaning out and oiling with TSI. However, if your not in a marine/salt environment then oil would provide the least resistance on startup w/4lb and not have the corrosion worry of salt water. Dont forget to take apart your line roller and lube it as well.

I use mostly 6# down at the marina and have alot of fun (spotted bay bass and halibut soon). The spinner I use doesnt have bearings, just 2 bushings and I havent made cf drags for it yet. You ought to do great with the cf drags and oil if you can. Dont forget to take a picture of your catch and show us how it worked out.

Have fun,

Leo