How to apply TSI for extreem performance

Started by JGB, June 16, 2012, 04:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB

TSI is a thin film lubricant that will migrate into the microscopic pores of the metal. Excess will spread out over time to the point it will feel dry. When lubricating bearings With TSI you goal is to only apply a very very thin layer on all the metal surfaces (TSI only adheres to metal). Any excess will slow the efficiency of the bearing creating drag mostly between the balls and the ball cage.
The goal is to have a coating and still have it thin enough to  prevent the TSI from bridging between the balls and the ball cage.

If you want a little extra TSI hanging around for more prolonged corrosion resistance simply lube, let stand for 5 min and the blow out with compressed air till it appears dry. Or you can simply lube and it will migrate out over a few days.

For those who want the performance similar to dry bearings (have to be high quality) then try this:
Lube with TSI and let stand for 10 to 15 min or more.
Blow it out with compressed air.
Give it a quick blast with carb cleaner and quickly blow dry with compressed air.
This will initially clear the metal surfaces of most of the surface TSI. After a few min the TSI that is stored in the pores of the metal will migrate out and produce an extremely thin layer of TSI.

I personally do not do the extra carb cleaner blast as I like the idea that I have a little more TSI than is needed.

Enjoy,
Jim N.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer