calculating torque

Started by falconer, June 16, 2012, 07:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconer

Okay folks, here's a question I hope isn't too nerdy.  I'm trying to calculate how much relative force is required to turn a reel handle (in this case, a Penn 16VSX) with a given length, against a given drag load.  The stock Penn 16VSX handle, is 2.75" between the centerline of the handle/knob shaft and the centerline of the main gear shaft.  The Tiburon T-Bar handle for this reel has 3.30" in the same dimension.  If I did my math right, that's just under 17% longer.  The torque formula is pretty simple, but as my high school physics was in 1966, I kinda' forgot how to calc this!  Let's say we set the drag at 20 pounds at strike.  With the stock low gear ratio of 1.7 : 1, against the 20# drag setting, anyone on here wanna school me on figuring out the two different ft/lbs. of effort required to move the spool shaft?  Oh, no, I forgot, the varying spool diameter with different amounts of line on the spool is part of this too...

Irish Jigger

Are you using greased drags?

conchydong

Uh oh, I took up fishing because I realized that I am not that smart. This is getting complicated. I hope I don't need a new hobby.  ???

Bryan Young

That's above my pay grade.  Sorry, I cannot help.  Yeah, I'm an engineer, but an electrical engineer...which means...nothing much. ???
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

michaelc

If your answers come up short it would be worth asking the same question on 360tuna and in particular DenisB.  This type of engineering/physics question is right up his ally.    

wallacewt

hi falconer
you could ask denisb or myself
the relative force needed to turn the handle is the same as the relative force a fly would use to cross a plate of treacle with snow shoes on, i think

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on June 16, 2012, 11:01:12 PM
hi falconer
the relative force needed to turn the handle is the same as the relative force a fly would use to cross a plate of treacle with snow shoes on, i think
My Man Wallace gives me belly laughs.  Wallace that is funny.  As to the question of relative force who cares?  If you can't crank the handle cut the guppy loose.   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bruce

OK Wallace.  Now we are cookin!  Was that light or dark ? And I don`t mean the snowshoes.

Buzz
Buzz

JasonF

It is actually pretty simple.  Force times distance.  The variable of spool diameter is irelevent because it still theoretically takes X amount of drag pull regardless of diameter.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: wallacewt on June 16, 2012, 11:01:12 PM
hi falconer
I love your analogy Wallace,and your humour. ;D ;D
It would have helped had he given the line diameter too. ;) ;)

Alto Mare

I just reread your question and noted that my answer is not completely related to what you're asking so I'll remove it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

maybe some steroids can help build up your muscles... ;)

Quote from: Pescachaser on June 16, 2012, 11:21:45 PM

My Man Wallace gives me belly laughs.  Wallace that is funny.  As to the question of relative force who cares?  If you can't crank the handle cut the guppy loose.   ::)  Dominick
[/quote]

x2

Jimmer

You might find a previous discussion of this interesting - look here    
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3131.0
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Robert Janssen

Approximately 15 lb, 7 oz. in the case outlined above, or 18 lb 9 oz with the stock handle.

This with an assigned approximate spool radius of 1.5", since i don't have one to measure. 

Alto Mare

I give you a lot of credit for trying Robert.
I remember catching fish in the 60's with a branch, string, cork from a wine bottle, a pebble, hook and a worm ....fishing is getting too complicated :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.