Book of Knots

Started by Bill B, June 17, 2012, 02:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

While browsing a local Goodwill book rack, found a book by Geoffrey Budworth, "The Complete Book of Fishing Knots", Octopus Publishing Group, 1999, 144 pages.

Gives a pretty good description of many knots we know, "hate"(never could do the Bimini Twist) , and love....well worth the $2.99 price I paid, and I would strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in knot tying and a brief history on the origin of that particular knot.  He talks about the early history of knot tying from horse hair and gut, rope and fishing line, to today's Spectra..and  some of the science behind the physics of knots and the medium they are tied with.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Cool.  That's a deal.

Bimini knots are not that hard.  Like any knots, you've got to practice.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

elnath

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 17, 2012, 07:55:06 AM
Cool.  That's a deal.

Bimini knots are not that hard.  Like any knots, you've got to practice.

lol... It must be something about the water on the West coast!   Essentially all of the serious fishermen I know in the NorthEast, hate to deal with a Bimini.  All the folks who think they are easy are on the West coast.  Coincidence? I don't think so :)

Anyway, for me it was a good motivator to move to hollow core spectra.  I can splice an eye splice in HC faster than most people can tie a Bimini (not to mention an hour faster than me tying one!), and it's smaller and just as strong (if not stronger).

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

there's also a book by Lefty Kreh which i have but for light tackle...

Bill B

I had no idea, but there is an International Guild of Knot Tyers...

What Does The IGKT Do?

We are an educational non-profit making organisation dedicated to furthering interest in practical, recreational and theoretical aspects of knotting. Our aim is to preserve traditional knotting techniques and promote the development of new techniques for new material and applications. We attend public events to advertise the Guild and its work, and conduct talks and demonstrations by arrangement with interested groups. We keep in touch with each other by correspondence, by holding regular meetings and exhibitions at both international and regional levels.
  (A direct copy from their website)

Who'd of thunk it ;)
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!