Pacific northwest halibut and ling cod

Started by Maxed Out, June 20, 2012, 05:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Well guys and gals, I just completed a month of 3 day shots to our coast to fish 40 miles offshore for halibut and lings.

Thought I'd share pics of a few of the fish. I was mostly too busy to get out my camera, but did manage a few pics from the last day of our short season (7days total). The first 3 weekends I trailered my boat (168 miles each way), so I decided to leave the boat at home the last day and hop on a charter boat that takes 6 people. The owner of the charter operation is a good friend and a great fisherman.

We loaded the boat with 8 halibut from 40 lbs to mid 70 lbs. Also bonked 16 nice ling cod from mid teens to 30+ pounds.

I'll be sharing pics reeeel soon of some summer chinook salmon. Prime time for them is just a couple weeks away, the bummer is that I am forced to eat a lot of white meat to make room in my freezer for salmon.....Life is good !!!

BTW, these fish were all caught using a stock penn 113H......Says a lot about that reel if a charter guy swears by them, and they get heavily used and abused and keep on going strong.

Last pic is the deck hand with a standard pacific northwest salute.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Thats a BUTT fest right there.  Right on TED!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Danhans

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Great work Ted, thanks for sharing.
Sounds like you were covering some serious distance, but I s'pose a seven-day season demands it!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

fishnazzi

It is good to once again see reports and pic's of my friend Ted...........maxed doubt.....err black velvet..........
Fishing as often as possible with my son and as many veterans as I can.

Alto Mare

Quote from: fishnazzi on June 21, 2012, 09:02:18 PM
It is good to once again see reports and pic's of my friend Ted...........maxed doubt.....err black velvet..........
X2...Ted has lots of friends ;)
Way to go buddy, thanks for showing. Sal
Are you saying there is no need for the double dogs in those babies? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishnazzi

"Last pic is the deck hand with a standard pacific northwest salute."......................is that Travis????

Maxed Out

No Sal, I like the double dog, but the 113H reels I use are stock, except for the aluminum frame.

I was just saying that if a charter guy swears by them then that tells ya how tough they are, and his are 100% stock.

Many other charter boats out of Westport also use the bone stock 113H for bottomfishing.

I'll tell ya what Sal, I'll send you mine and you can double dog them and also upgrade them to stainless sleeves........Thanks Sal you're the greatest !!!

Troy, the last pic is Jambos deck hand (Danny)..........Travis is an ironworker, remember ???
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

fishnazzi

Picture was kinda dark couldn't make out much ???  but......tall and.......saluting :-*

seaeagle2

Here in the NW, I would say it's fair to say that Jambo has an impeccable reputation for getting on the fish and running an all around first class operation. Nice load of fish.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

fishnazzi

Quote from: seaeagle2 on June 21, 2012, 09:59:43 PM
Here in the NW, I would say it's fair to say that Jambo has an impeccable reputation for getting on the fish and running an all around first class operation. Nice load of fish.

x2.........Jambo rocks.

Steve-O

Nice load of flatties!  I'll be back up in SE AK in a few months. Can't wait!

Dominick

Hi Steve-o good to hear from you you were missed.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.