Penn 4/0 YTS with 4:1 gears

Started by soabd, June 20, 2012, 11:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soabd

I have a Penn 4/0 YTS with 4:1 gears that I recently disassembled and rebuilt. While winding line on the reel at a medium drag setting it exhibits a jump or clunk every 4th or 5th turn of the handle. I took it apart again and inspected the main gear and the pinion gear and could find nothing that was obviously wrong. Also looked at the dog and the teeth that the dog engages with and did not see anything obvious. Also, I have overhauled and rebuilt this reel many times and this is the first time I have had this problem
Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?
Thanks,
Bill

alantani

if it clunks 4 times with every crank of the handle, then the damage is in the pinion gear or the spool is catching somewhere.  if it clunks with every rotation of the handle, then the damage is somewhere along the handle shaft or in the main gear.  if it clunks every 4-5 turns, i don't know.  check the gear teeth for a small piece of junk.  wierd......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Sounds like your gears, sometimes a magnifying glass will help.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

it should be more regular, like every crank, not every few cranks.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

soabd

Alan,
That is what is puzzling. It's logical that once per turn would be the main gear and 4 times per turn would be the pinion gear but this clunk occurs on every fourth turn of the handle.
Bill

redsetta

I assume there's no 'clunk' when free-spooling (ie every 16-odd revolutions of the spool)?
Is there any chance the pinion is riding up the spool shaft over a few winds, then bumping back into position under the pressure of the clutch springs?
Could grit in the pinion shaft cause that?
It's unusual, that's for sure...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

soabd

Thanks for all the responses.
Will disassemble it again and look more closely at the pinion gear/spool shaft engagement along with inspecting the parts with magnification.
Bill