Started by kauaifish808, June 21, 2012, 01:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kauaifish808

I have a torium 50 and want to upgrade the drive shaft bushing to ball bearings
does the trinidad 50 drive shaft  bearing fit in the torium 50 and
What is the size of the drive shaft bearing any info on this upgrade  ;D

Bryan Young

Aloha Kauaifish808.  E komo mai.

Personally, I like the bushing better.  I've switched out may of the drive shaft bearings.  They get rusted and then become bushings.  They are hard to protect and so tiny, I'm not sure when I pack them with grease, grease actually stays in there.  The next reel I get for the trini or torium, I'll note the bearing size.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kauaifish808

Aloha bryan
thanks for the info on the drive shaft bearing  ;D

Bryan Young

Okay, awe, I forgot the size.  But Alan and I were talking about it and we both agree that the bushing would probably be better because 1)it's maintenance free 2) it will not crush like the bearing if the shaft is torqued in any direction and 3) it doesn't have to be packed with grease.  If you still want the dimensions, I'll forward it to you if I can find those bushing again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kauaifish808

Thanks bryan i was think about changing it but i see you point better leave it
maintance wise bushing is better dont want to be changing bearing all da time lol!
Thanks again bryan for your input on the drive shaft bearing

Bryan Young

No probs.  I wish I had access to those bushing...maybe I gotta call Shimano.  I would change them out on the Trinis to the bushings.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

not worth the penny. switched to bearings and switched back to bushing. there was no noticeable  difference.

franky

I second or third the motion....

In that part of the reel, there will be no noticable difference in smoothness, casting freespool, or drag power.  If corrosion in the bushing concerns you, having a bearing in there is more disasterous.  I see a guy on ebay trying to sell the bearing so called upgrade....not worth it.

In fact, as Bryan mentioned, to UPGRADE a trinidad reel, I would actually yank out the bearing and reinstall a torium bushing (if it fits).  It sounds counter intuitive but yes, it would actually be an upgrade that will reduce the chance of corrosion and having to deal with a frozen bearing.   

Bryan Young

This sounds like a service upgrade opportunity.  :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

I dont know why they even put a bearing there.
point of sale advertising??

Ill third the motion.  Bushing in that location for sure!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

CapeFish

I will argue against it, I have never seen a bearing there fail but have seen bushes coroded to the frame which is a mess and driveshafts worn away. My one torium has had a bearing in there for more than 6 years now, no problems at all.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: CapeFish on June 25, 2012, 12:11:04 PM
I will argue against it, I have never seen a bearing there fail but have seen bushes coroded to the frame which is a mess and driveshafts worn away. My one torium has had a bearing in there for more than 6 years now, no problems at all.

do these people do preventive maintenance? i assume you do because no matter what you have in there bushing or bearing if you don't do  any maintenance you'll have corrosion, just my 2 cents...:)

franky

Quote from: Mel B on June 25, 2012, 03:01:36 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on June 25, 2012, 12:11:04 PM

do these people do preventive maintenance? i assume you do because no matter what you have in there bushing or bearing if you don't do  any maintenance you'll have corrosion, just my 2 cents...:)

Now I have to second the motion along with Mel B.  Til this day, I do not know of any bearing that is corrosion proof.  I have worked with many penn and newell reels and have seen both ceramic and stainless bearings go rusted and frozen to both the bearing cap and the spool shaft.  Having it tucked away deep in the dark corner of the reel housing makes me cringe.  And I know that torium reels, like most other reels, are not exactly water proof.  :-\

alantani

corrosion is one problem.  the other is that you have a very small bearing with tiny little balls that can easily get crushed if you bang on the handle very hard.  it's just not the best set up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!