Lake Powell fish and a few sights

Started by fishnazzi, June 21, 2012, 09:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnazzi

OK first off.......I do some guiding on the Lake but...........I only do it for Wounded Warriors. Here is a trip I ran for another group who does some Wounded Warrior stuff................

OK now here are some more pics of..................

Some of the prettiest high desert around

Sunrise on the right morning can be a sight you will never forget!!

As the lake is over 150 miles long just with the main channel area.....sometimes you have to start your day in the dark to get to the fish up lake!!!

We have a very healthy population of Striped Bass......they are the "go to fish" here.

We also have a nice green bass, brown bass and walleye populations.......

It is the perfect place to bring a family or finish raising one.......even the family dog will have an adventure.

We got ton's more pic's but it gives you an idea of the area!!!!!
Fishing as often as possible with my son and as many veterans as I can.

Maxed Out

Sure, rub it in a little Troy.

I'm stuck up north with the slugs a ducks wondering if we will ever see 75 degrees for one day while you're enjoying that awesome weather and scenery, not to mention great fishing.

Thanks for posting, can't wait to see more and perhaps more about the wounded warriors you take fishing.

Hey Troy, some of your pics shows what looks like a high water mark on those rocks in the background. That lake is a resevior, right ?? How far up and down does the lake go from winter to summer ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

fishnazzi

We have ducks..........see
Wood ducks

grebes that rat out striper schools

We also have an excellent Wounded Warrior fishing thing I do.......since it is still in the start up process I will do a post on it soon......just trying to get my bearings here.........The you-tube deal on the top of the picture post shows one of the trips I did for Wounded Warriors. I am now getting my house in order to do the trips myself........my boat

and my own 501-c3. I have a number of sponsors and donors already lined up. The 501-c3 is being pushed through by an attorney from Colorado on a pro-bono deal. Soon I hope to be doing at least 1 trip a week.......year around as the lake does fish quite well year-around!!!

redsetta

Great pics and story Troy - thanks for sharing.
QuoteIt is the perfect place to bring a family or finish raising one...
Sure looks that way!
Well done. ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

What a beautiful place and great fishing too.
Thank's for sharing Troy.

kamuwela

beautiful place beautiful boat. i notice the name kaku, hawaiian for baracuda. those are well sought after rides here in hawaii. we modify them with a sponson and fly bridge, dual helm and a few other things.

fishnazzi

Thanks guys!! The fishing is very good here. The boat does real well in this in-land environment. Kaku is that!!!! I have a friend who is running a charter boat over in Kona......gotta look up the name of the boat again.......he is also fishing in a radon for the market!!!!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Danhans

that is so beautiful! and a nice fishery too..thanks for sharing!
dan

Jazzcat

Hey Man that makes me want to go fishing.

I got a question how are you using a flasher? Im guessing on the downrigger, but are you using it with live bait or a crank bait?
I fish for stripers over in South Carolina, It seems you have figured out a technique that I have not.  How are you rigging that?

Thanks
Danny

fishnazzi

Danny we are using spoons behind the flashers. A couple of notes to go with it. We are using break away flashers only because they are a lot nicer(don't have to worry about the fish pulling hooks by using flasher for leverage) Leader length depends on speed we are trolling........"28-36" and 2-5mph. It has proven to be a good summer approach......we get very warm afternoon water temps and no seems to do much......the fish can be metered at 60-120' but jigging and other methods just don't seem to get them.......so we put the DR's to work.......15lb balls and get down to the fish. We also troll crankbaits and swim baits without flashers but.........have really found that over 80' most everything else does not get bit like the flashers or even near it. The flashers are uv'd up and are an important part of our summer gear. I use Jim's Break Away flashers.........They are available from www.qcove.com the owner Ken is a great guy who values every customer and proves it with every order. The flashers are 100% american made and assembled in WA state. Turns out they are also cheaper then some of the other non-break away.......non-uv stuff out there.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Jazzcat

Thanks Man,
I'm going to order some break away flashers, my downrigger season starts in late July or August.  And then we don't go as deep as you, 90% of the time we run ours at 30 to 35 feet, but last year I did catch fish running them at 70'   Ive only pulled crankbaits, I'm looking forward to learning this method. 
Thanks again,
Danny

fishnazzi

Good luck!!! Let me know if you got any questions or troubles!!!! Troy

Steve-O

Hey! you left out the "other" fishery in Lake Powell!!! ???  The mighty CARP! That's my go to fish here in Utah. Only because there ain't anything bigger or harder pulling here.

thanks for the beautiful images!

Steve