Drag on 6/0 Experiment

Started by suitekids, June 23, 2012, 09:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Dan, what is the thickness of the Smoothdrag metal washers?  If her keyed washers are thinner than Penn's, then we can combine them with Penn's thinner eared washers.  That may give us more room to shoehorn in some thicker Carbontex washers, say, the 0.65mm or 0.76mm.  It will give us more of a selection of carbontex to choose from, less material to remove, and thicker carbontex means stronger material, too.

Or, would Lee's metal stock be thin enough for this purpose?  I guess we'll have to do some more measuring. ;D

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Lets not forget that with the numbers tha we're trying to get to, it's not going to depend on washers only. The reel will need double dogs to keep the pressure balanced and a full metal frame.
I'm waiting to see if the boss thinks that we're all nuts ;D. I'm sure that he will chime in when we're all done, I'm hoping that he likes the idea of 1+7  :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I got 1.53 mm for the keyed and 1.16 mm for the eared washer from Smoothdrag.  I'm not sure how old these are though.

Sal, you wife is getting involved?  I though she wanted to get rid of your stuff? ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Good one Bryan ;D, you know who the boss is around here.
Besides, I'm the boss in my house ;). Oops, I better erase this before she reads it :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 24, 2012, 04:21:41 PM
Sal, you wife is getting involved?  I though she wanted to get rid of your stuff? ;D
Bryan:  You have it all wrong.  It's Sal she wants to get rid of.  The stuff she can sell.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

That explains it! She's always asking me how valuablemy reels are, I bet she's writing everything down. Boy, if I tell her how much I really paid for them she'll make me a special meatball ;).

redsetta

QuoteBoy, if I tell her how much I really paid...
A mate was telling me on Friday that he recently picked up two mint Ambassadeur Rockets at a garage sale, with rods and braid, for NZ$20 each (US$16).
The husband was out running errands, so his wife sold 'em for "...about what he said he'd paid for them..."
'Oh what a tangled web we weave...' ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Sal, Sal,  You are a special meatball.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Dominick, I gess you don't know what making someone a special meatball means. It a meatball with Strychnine  ;)  ;D.

George4741

Quote from: redsetta on June 24, 2012, 09:42:18 PM
QuoteBoy, if I tell her how much I really paid...
A mate was telling me on Friday that he recently picked up two mint Ambassadeur Rockets at a garage sale, with rods and braid, for NZ$20 each (US$16).
The husband was out running errands, so his wife sold 'em for "...about what he said he'd paid for them..."
'Oh what a tangled web we weave...' ;) ;D

She just couldn't wait until after he died.  That's treachery! :o ;D
viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

I tell my wife what I pay for reels, and then tell her that I plan to resell them.  I tell her the truth so when I'm gone she'll sell stuff for the right price.  At least that's what I tell myself.  She'll probably just as soon give all the stuff away when I'm gone just to get rid of them and out of the house.

I will sell the reels, but it's a matter of when I'll do that.  Some are quick turn arounds while others get held for many years (during which time I use them).

I'm the boss of the house, the corporate president.  My wife is the treasurer (and a treasure).  It's amazing how many things I authorize for expenditure that somehow fall through the cracks.  Conversely, the same with the things I've "approved" but don't remember.  I love my wife.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.