Hello from North GA!

Started by pbmang, June 22, 2012, 01:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbmang

Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself.  My name is Chris and to say I frequent a lot of forums would be an understatement!  That is how I first heard of Alan and his ability to fix just about any reel.  Well, I have just gotten into saltwater fishing, and the need for proper reel maintenance is something I didn't really experience with my bass fishing gear.  Plus, I am also starting to do some land based shark fishing, and those reels can really take a pounding.  Since I live about 6 hours from the coast, it doesn't make sense for me to spend the big bucks on new, gold reels, so I'm sticking with the older, big senators.  In fact, I have a 14/0 on the way right now (going to make a post about it soon) that is going to need some love.

Anyway, just wanted to drop in and say hello!

alantani

welcome!  i do virtually zero fresh water fishing. largemouth, right?   this photo would make a GREAT avatar!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood....

pbmang

Quote from: alantani on June 22, 2012, 04:03:48 PM
welcome!  i do virtually zero fresh water fishing. largemouth, right?   this photo would make a GREAT avatar!

I think you are correct Mr. Tani, it does work well for the avatar!  You are also correct on the fish, that is indeed a largemouth bass.  If I lived closer to the salt, I would probably do almost zero fresh water fishing as well.  But, we have a large lake (Allatoona) pretty much in our back yard, so it's hard not to spend a lot of time out there.  Plus, it passes the time until we can get to the coast again.   :) 

kamuwela

aloha chris and welcome to alans place

Bryan Young

Welcome Chris. That's a tourney size bass you've got there.  Thanks for sharing and enjoy what you find here.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Im a LMB Angler also, love the challenge & ease of getting out..
Do all the freshwater stuff, from tiny Natural trout in streams to Sturgeon up north.
I Float Tube the local Lake, when I can sneak out early.. 

The Saltwater is a prime target also, Cabo, off shore & up to 7 Day Tuna trips so far!!
Its all fishing, right???   lol

Welcome aboard....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Welcome aboard pb.
x2 - that's a great-looking bass.
Will look forward to your LBG shark reports!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

i'd like to take a shot at one of those bass!   ;D

Dave Bentley

For us furreners, where and what is GA and what is south of GA
Only believe that which you know to be true.

redsetta

G'day Dave,
It's the state of Georgia, in the south eastern US.
It's got loads of rivers and lakes for bass etc, and also has an Atlantic seaboard just north of Florida (pic below).
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

pbmang

Quote from: redsetta on June 25, 2012, 11:25:45 AM
G'day Dave,
It's the state of Georgia, in the south eastern US.
It's got loads of rivers and lakes for bass etc, and also has an Atlantic seaboard just north of Florida (pic below).
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin

That's it!  I am pretty lucky in that I am (in general) no more than a days drive away from all kinds of world class fishing.  A few hours north, we have some fantastic trout waters, all around is fantastic bass fishing for every species of bass, our rivers and lakes have some giant catfish and striped bass, and all along the coast from Jekyll Island to the Florida Keys is all kinds of great saltwater angling.  As much as I would love to live closer to the coats, I really am lucky to be able to pull out of my driveway and have at least 10 different options of places to fish within less than hours drive.

Once I get in my 14/0 senator, I plan on tearing it down and really giving it a solid cleaning.  I will snap some pictures and share my experience with it.  Based on the price I paid for it, and some of the photos I have seen, it is going to take some work, but I'm excited to give it a crack!  There's nothing an old tooth brush, some CLR and a bit of grease can't fix on these old senators.  Haha!   ;D

alantani

check first to see if you have carbon fiber drag washers in this reel.  if you do have a "woven" drag washer, then clean them up with an old rag to "raise the grain" and then slap a thick coat of drag grease on the reel. you will also need a #6-114 drag washer to go under the main gear.  send me a pm with with your address and i will send you one of those. i might be able to send you some drag grease while i'm at it.  but check first to see what type of drag washers you have.  if they are carbon fiber, you will save yourself $30.  even if they are old and gummed up, they might still work ok.  let's not spend any money until you know.  

if you do not have carbon fiber, order up a new drag kit from mysticparts.com.  you will need all of the carbon fiber drag washers and all of the metal washers.  it will be expensive, but still worth it.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

pbmang

Wow Mr. Tani, that would be fantastic!  I will shoot you that PM.

Alto Mare

Hello Chris, welcome!
Nice project you got going there, take lots of pictures of the before and after.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.