Out of the box Salmon trolling reel??

Started by cfood22, June 25, 2012, 10:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfood22

I know there's no such thing as "out of the box" on this site, but was just curious what the members thought.  Talking NorCal salmon trolling reel.  2.5 pound ball, lots of torque, slow retrieve. Speed freaks need not apply

alantani

i like the penn 320 gt2 with an oversized handle grip.  been really happy with those.  party boats will fish lead, particularly out of san francisco.  there are still days when lead outfishes wire.  seen it.  don't know why. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Penn 320 GT2 is a great reel for this.  I would highly recommend taking the side plate off, and at least squirt corrosionX in the left side plate bearing, the main drive bearing and on the spool shaft.  That's where the corrosion hits the hardest in these reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cfood22

Thanks,
The majority of what we use are the 320's, along with a couple Accurate/Penn 3/0's that Alan upgraded a few years ago.  Recent issue fighting jellyfish while trolling has maxed out the 3/0's, but the 320's have proved very durable.

Bryan Young

I think the 320 GT2s are provided with 4/0 sized gears and drags if my memory servers me right, and that is where your extra holding power comes from when hitting and slicing through those jellies.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

The Shimano Tekota 600 is the same size but a bit stronger and smoother than the 320. It has a metal frame and stainless worm. It costs more but I think it's worth it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

redsetta

QuoteThe Shimano Tekota 600... It costs more but I think it's worth it.
x2
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer