Brake Cleaner

Started by RWS, June 26, 2012, 08:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWS

Do I want CHLORINATED or NON ?????????????????????????

suitekids

chlorinated is best but if you value the enviroment non-chlorinated

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fisherski

Do you use brake cleaner just for bearings? Or can you use it to clean old grease off all parts of the reel? Does brake cleaner harm plastic? If so, what can you recommend for cleaning other reel parts?
thanks

Jazzcat

Hey Guys
Be careful with break clean, I used it every day back back in the 80's on my first job out of high school.  It kinda deformed one  of my finger nails.

Danny

AllenW

Brake clean is not all the same, but probably close enough for us, I used to use it to clean Bike parts when I was drag racing years back, ended up with nose bleeds, doc said to quit using it or be very careful with it and ventilate well.

I like the stuff from 3M, just seemed less aggressive than some of the others.

It does effect some materials so be careful on what you use it on, maybe test it in a small spot, especially on plastics and such.  imho

Al

Jim

Quote from: fisherski on July 08, 2012, 04:51:33 PM
Do you use brake cleaner just for bearings? Or can you use it to clean old grease off all parts of the reel? Does brake cleaner harm plastic? If so, what can you recommend for cleaning other reel parts?
thanks

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. Won't harm plastic, cleans awesome. Leaves zero residue.
Try ACE hardware.

stevennc

Brake cleaner also removes permanent marker off things better than anything else I have used. Not the greatest at penetrating rust for say stuck drag clickers and such but great for removing old oil / grease. wipe clean reapply grease good to go.

58Evinrudebigtwin35

I have always had good success with another CRC product called Lectra Motive.  I use it rebuilding starter motors. It cleans well removing grease and carbon but is safe to bakelite, plastic and the insulation in the windings. It really does a nice job cleaning the bronze and brass bushings and gears.  This product is residue free too.  It is a natural cleaning my old reels but I don't think it is a very green product.  Any suggestions to a greener solvent and cleaner?
Anthony, stai zitto e mangia!

Jim

Quote from: 58Evinrudebigtwin35 on September 11, 2012, 05:31:24 PM
I have always had good success with another CRC product called Lectra Motive.  I use it rebuilding starter motors. It cleans well removing grease and carbon but is safe to bakelite, plastic and the insulation in the windings. It really does a nice job cleaning the bronze and brass bushings and gears.  This product is residue free too.  It is a natural cleaning my old reels but I don't think it is a very green product.  Any suggestions to a greener solvent and cleaner?

I think both the CRC products are really the same, in any case, something greener? Not that will clean as well AND leave zero residue.
The little bits of the stuff we can buy in a can are trivial compared to the vast quantities of 1,1,1-trichloro that were used industrially until it was banned in 1996.
Anything we can buy now is soooo much better for the environment than 15 or 20 years ago. Don't worry about it.