Saltiga 30 Drag Question

Started by maine guide, June 27, 2012, 12:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the springs will not have an effect.  it's different than a lever drag system where the proper belleville configuration is critical. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

I see what your saying...

Yes you can add spacer washers above or below e Bellvilles to add height to the drag stack adjustment...   Some manufacturers test and add them as needed, some dont..
You may find extra ones in any reel, or need to add 1 or 2 ++..
So many things affect the Star Drag adjustment....

Add a spacer/washer and see....

If you getting 22 +/- Lb of drag, your at max drag ability (with Carbontex)...
Maybe a few Lb less or more...   Never are exactly the same...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

maine guide

Yesterday I took off the handles and star drags of both Saltiga's and grabbed the spring washers out of one and added a third to the other Saltiga to see if that would help.  So, instead of "()" I now have "())".

Still plenty of range and I can get the reel all the way to lockdown on the line.  So, that seems to do it.

I just called Daiwa and ordered several more spring washers.

I have a spring scale on the way as well so I can share accurate #'s in the future.

Thanks all for the tips and advice.

broadway

MG,
     I tested my Saltiga 30L to right around 20lbs and it was not locked down all the way.  I didn't wanna push it because Daiwa parts take forever to get.  If you need more than 20lb's pick up the 30T... it's a tank!
Will the drag back all the way off with the extra belleville in there? If so, I might have to crack open a Saltiga tonight ;)
Thanks
Dom

maine guide

The drag backs off completely with the extra spring washer in there (PN #150-8901).

jimbolim

i have owned saltiga 20, 30 and 30t. you can lock down 30t but 20 and 30 would never lock down like 30t even with carbon drags. theres always going to be some line slippage with 20 and 30 models. at least this was from my experience with these reels.

Reelz

Hey guys I had the same problem with my saltiga 20 and 30. One I did this mod my sa30 is alot better, I cannot pull line at all when fully buttoned down. I used the stock saltiga drags (looks like smoothie, I can post pix if anyone wants). 7 total drags and 1 O ring installed. Thought I would contribute since this has worked great for me.

This is how I did it: 1. Drive gear--2. Smoothie--3. carbontex---4. key washer---5. carbontex---6. earned washer---7. carbontex---8. key washer---9. carbontex---10. eared washer---11. carbontex---12. Key Washer---13. 0 ring---14. Collar A.

alantani

you made the drag stack higher so nothing bottoms out. 

Reelz

Yes, and has worked great. Also gets tighter sooner. I've caught bunch of 25-50 lb tuna this summer and held up just fine. Do you think its OK to do it this way? I don't really know the long term negative effect on my reel, but so far it has worked great.

alantani

Reelz