Saltiga 30 Drag Question

Started by maine guide, June 27, 2012, 12:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maine guide

Good morning everyone.

I have recently picked up two Saltiga 30 star drag reels from different sources, at different times.

The first one, I tore down and reassembled prior to checking the drag.  After re-assembly, I noticed that at almost full lockdown of the drag, I could still pull line out.  I checked it a couple of times again (tore it apart and reassembled) and still same issue.

The second one that I picked up a few weeks later (different source) I tested prior to tearing down, and at full lockdown, this reel also gives line out.

That got me thinking about my Saltist 30 that does the same thing.

I have Penn's that I can completely lock down.  Then again, my Newell's seem to still give line at full lockdown of the star.

So, what is the correct answer, should the Saltiga's, when you crank the star all the way down, stop giving any line out, or should they still allow the line out?  Should any reel, for that matter, completely lock down and allow no line out?

Thanks in advance!

xaf

I can't pull any line from my Saltiga's when they are locked down.

alantani

any chance that you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

you are also talking about friction devices, and even at full lock down, unless you have a pin that stops the spool from spinning, there is a chance that line will still peel out depending on how strong you pull the line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 27, 2012, 07:17:13 PM
you are also talking about friction devices, and even at full lock down, unless you have a pin that stops the spool from spinning, there is a chance that line will still peel out depending on how strong you pull the line.

I agree, with Alan also.. Check the Spectra!!!

If your pulling at Max drag poundage, thats about all you will get..
Be Very careful tightening them down that Far, If you strip the threads on the star drag it will get expensive fast!!!!!..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

maine guide

Quote from: alantani on June 27, 2012, 07:12:01 PM
any chance that you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?

I thought about that.  When I pull I see that the spool is turning along with the line so I would say the spectra is on correctly.

alantani

then somewhere you have metal against metal.  perhaps the star is bottoming out. 

maine guide

I took it apart last night.  One of the drag (Dartanium?) washers was split in half already.  Reel has seen very little use.  Amazing how easy those break when I went to break it again.

For the time being, I replaced the missing one with a 6-113 HT100.

I have a couple of sets of Carbontex from Dawn on the way.

maine guide

I think I see another issue, which I corrected last night as well.  I followed Alan's 30T tutorial, which shows the shield and spring washers on the star/handle side of the bearing (bearing is part #60 on the SA 30).  Now that I look closer at the SA30 schematic, the spring washers are actually on the drag stack side of that bearing.

I looked at the 30T schematic and they do differ.  Why would the 30T set up differ from the 30?  Should it make that much of a difference?  Does putting it on the handle side of the bearing put more pressure on the bearing as you crank down on the star?

Thanks again for all of the insight.

LTM

I noticed the same thing with the drag washer springs when I was servicing my Saltiga 30 and my 30t.  Sure would like to know as well, does it matter what side the drag washer springs are on?

Leo

maine guide

Now that I have looked all over the Daiwa section of this site, it seems that this is a common problem with the Saltiga.

Alan or someone - if we wanted to add washers (of any size for that matter) to hopefully increase the drag capability, where/which type is it best to add? I am assuming you cannot add them to the stack inside the handle side plate (as it would rub inside) so is the only option between the star and the bearing?  If so, is it best to add a third spring washer in this fashion "())" or is it better to "(()" or some other configuration?  Or is it better to add one of the other type of washers?  Or could another carbontex or ht-100 be added in the stack so that you have two fiber washers in between the metal?  I just want to make sure before I start ordering parts or dis-assemble / re-assemble too many times.  Thanks all!

alantani

you may have a better drag range with the greased carbontex drag washers.

maine guide

Yes, I will be installing the greased carbontex.  But, while I have it open, if I did want to add another washer somewhere, where do I get the "best bang for the buck"?

alantani

drag washers have to added in pairs.  the saltiga 30T already has one drag washer under the main gear and 5 inside.  to get the reel to work properly, you would need 7 inside the main gear.  i'm still wondering if the star is bottoming out somewhere. 

maine guide

Thanks Alan.  My error in terminology as I was not really only thinking of the drag washers, but also the spring and bearing washers in general.  So, since I cannot fit any more carbontex or metal washers inside the reel plate, how about my thoughts on adding a third spring washer so it is "())" or "(()"?

I checked the bottoming out.  But, it seems to me there are enough people having Saltigas putting out less than acceptable drag that this is a common problem.

Thanks again for the wonderful site.