Do I have a Left-Hand 115 (9/0) ?

Started by dogdad1, June 27, 2012, 08:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

Ya know, I almost hate to ask this question in front of you esteemed reel-gurus but since the reel came from my Grandfather (and he always said "It's better to ask a dumb question and learn from it than to be dumb and get it wrong), here goes...

I'm re-assembling a Penn 115, and the slots in the side-plates seem to want to make the rod brace parts come off the front of the reel (towards the tip), rather than to the backside where I'd think they'd be to counteract the torque from the pull of a fish.  Naturally, I didn't take pictures or make notes when disassembling, because how hard can it be to get it wrong with just those few pieces in the reel?  (Yeah, I know). 

As it is now, it looks like the brace is there to counteract the rewind force of the reel.  Any pictures I've found online don't really make it clear (at least to me).   Are my assumptions askew, or do I have a left-hand reel?

Thanks!
Ron
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Squirmypug

I think Dogdad1 is talking about the reel brace, it should be facing the tip of the rod. The brace is there to keep the reel from getting pulled off the rod when you are harnessed in and pulling on the harness lugs
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Irish Jigger

Google "Penn senator 9/0 images", lots of pics on there showing harness set up.

Alto Mare

Ron, I believe that I have a shot of the rod brace, see if this heps:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3935.0
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

Don't feel bad asking that question.  I called it the "rod brace thingy" when I asked about it!

dogdad1

See, I knew I'd get a straight answer... and it wasn't even a 'told ya so' one.  Thanks guys.  Guess I haven't gotten around to thinking about the need to support the reel from ME pulling on it!  I always thought the fish was bigger and stronger.  

Sorry for any confusion about the name, I'd seen it both ways elsewhere here and on mysticarts.com.  My first inclination was to go with 'thing-a-ma-bob-do-jobber'.

Thanks, Sal, the pic does help.  Mighty fine reel there.  Mine is set up like that (just nowhere near as purty!).

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

JasonF

I had a large hammerhead on the other day while in a stand up harness.  With 20 pounds of drag pulling on one end and 225 pounds of me leaned back against a $150 reel that does not have a super heavy duty frame, I could see why Penn keeps the rod brace thingy on these reels.  If you are fighting from a bucket in a chair you could put even greater stress on the reel.

Makule

The harness lugs (this is what they are correct called) are initially on the top of the Senator reels.  Even the small Senators have them there.  Then, two sets are included on the larger reels, the next set being on the front (rod tip side) of the reel to prevent the reel from being pulled off the seat when used with a shoulder or "kidney" harness.  The really large reels have three sets, back (to hold the reel from being pulled off the reel seat by the very heavy drag), the top, and the front.

Right or left handed reels have sleeves that spin in opposite directions.  In other words, if you have a left handed reel and were to crank it with your right hand, the handle would only spin in a counter clockwise direction.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

dogdad1

It all makes perfect sense, now that you explained it to me.  Guess I haven't had the opportunity to hook into anything that big yet.  But, here's hoping!

Thanks, y'all.  This site has been a treasure trove of help and information.