Okuma Stratus Reel Jamming Up

Started by MaCe1, June 28, 2012, 11:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaCe1

I bought an Okuma Stratus spinning reel at Dicks Sporting Goods about 3 years ago. It worked fine and was very smooth to reel. I opened it up to clean and re-grease, when I put it back together it keeps jamming up as I turn the handle. I lined up the marks on the main gear with the oscillating gear since the oscillating gear is oblong not round. Any suggestions on what I did wrong/how to make this work? Thanks.

Bryan Young

Unfortunately, the gear was misaligned and if you had cranked and forced the reel to turn, the gears are damaged and will need replacing. That oscillating gear works great but it has to be properly aligned and not just by the marks but by carefully rotating the gears and if there are any binding I the slightest you need to move the gear one additional tooth front or back until there's no binding at all.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MaCe1

Thanks, appreciate the response. Had a feeling it was not going to be simple, fortunately it's a backup reel I bought on sale.

Bryan Young

try take the reel apart and move the gear one tooth forward or backward until you get it right.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

you have to line up the red dots.  if you have them misaligned and crank the handle, then you can damage the gears and you have to start all over again, maybe even with new gears. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

My Okuma VX had arrows on the gears but they were not exact.  I had to play with the gears a tooth at a time until it all flowed nicely.