Broken Screw Penn 4400 SS

Started by Thubert57, June 28, 2012, 01:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thubert57

I was removing the screw (part 31) that holds the bail onto the rotor and the screw sheared off inside the rotor.  I like this reel and considered getting a new rotor and screw but the rotor is discontinued.  Any thoughts on removing a piece of a screw from down inside the rotor?  The screw broke off about 2-3 threads deep (not exposed).
Thanks!!
Tom
Norfolk Anglers Club

willybendit

take you reel to a watch repair shop and let the guy have a look  i had a screw snap in one of my roller guides  and ive no small tools for that sort of thing ok for car Engines and trucks, you could also try any local model engineering clubs /guys in your area    Tightlines Alain

redsetta

G'day Tom,
Alain's probably got you on the right track.
However, if it doesn't work out, I worked on a 8500SS just last week that'd sheered the same bail arm screw (#31).
I clamped the rotor between two pieces of wood, peened a guide mark on the top of the broken screw with a sharpened punch and used a drill press to drill down the centre of the screw (with a smaller gauge drill bit than the screw width).
This avoided any potential damage to the delicate alloy thread.
I then twisted a little tap into the hole till it bound up, and wound the broken screw right through and out the other side.
The 4400 is considerably smaller so this may not suit, but ya never know...
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
PS A reverse bit would achieve the same result (though I didn't have one to hand).
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Thubert57

Two excellent ideas!  I  have a drill press, just need to get the right bit.  The heat is supposed to be 100 this weekend here, not conducive to working in the garage.  I'll report back, soon I hope.
Many thanks!
Tom
Norfolk Anglers Club