Hello, and need info for certain shimano reels

Started by lyt, July 03, 2012, 02:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyt

hey Guys,

What a fantastic resource, so glad i found it.    Ok so, online I go by lyt, and basically need some info.   HERE'S THE STORY

Recently moved back to Florida, dying to get back to the fish, and just found an older gentleman who is no longer "allowed" by his wife to go into the "deep" blue anymore due to age.   Bad news for him, yet good news for me.   This is no joke, everyone gets lucky...but today it was me.....

For $500  I just got:

3 TLD 25's
1 TLD 20
1 Daiwa 12/0?  (it's huge)
2 baitrunner plus 6500's
1 other spinner  (of quality)
8 Sam scott custom rods, some w/ rollers, some regular
1 sabiki rod
3 Surf rods (not the greatest...but thrown in free!)
1 small gaff
LOTS of LURES, misc fishing equipment
Anchor buoy
Large Tackle box
Fishing Charts of the area I just moved to.
multi pole to hold larger gaffs etc.
2 5 Gallon Gas cans
and lots of other stuff i havn't even seen yet. :o

SO, with that said, my main concern is the TLD 25's and 20.   I want to get them in tip top shape and ran across the TLD tutorial.   What a great piece Alan...... I know, I know,  I'm sure everyone pats you on the back for it :)....but it truly is a great resource.

Now i have 2 questions:  

1)   Is there somewhere a list of materials i need to buy?   I read the post, and i am sure i can easily handle the teardown,  but without an easy to read list, I dont want to come to a certain step in the middle of my teardown and say, DANG IT, I dont have that.    Like the funky wrench....I KNOW..... I dont have that!

is there a simple list of all parts to upgrade?  I'm thinking kinda like a recipe, you know ....at the beginning, all ingredients are listed.  

2)   Is there a ONE place I can purchase all these parts.  like in a kit?  If not, why not?  

kind regards,

lyt

If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

Nessie Hunter

Great luck finding all of that lyt. 

Welcome aboard also...

You have seen the TLD tutorials.

You shouldn't need much more then a few screw drivers (Reg & Philips) some Pliers and sockets to get started...
Household tools (and a few of the Wifes things?? Tweezers, picks, cotton swabs)  LOL

Call, PM (member here) or Email Dawn at Smoothdrags.com 
She has New Carbontex drag washers, Cals drag grease, corrosion-X and other supplies/tools you will need to get going..
Some Marine grease for bearings & internal parts..
I used LubRmatic marine Trailer bearings grease for many years,  worked great. Easy to find at Almost any Auto Parts store.... 

You wont know if anything is broken or Rusted/Corroded beyond help until you get inside and snoop around...   
Bearings - Take off the shield (at least 1) and make sure they are clean and running smooth.
Dawn also has bearings should you need them...   
If you want a full set, Im sure she can get it together for you...
Or order what bearings you need later...

Everything is explained in that Tutorial.  Alan does a bang up job on them....

If any Shimano Parts need replaced...  Call 877-577-0600

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

lyt

thanks ness....   

ok well like i said...i know i dont have that wrench.....

any ideas?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

lyt

its a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful.....

heh hehmmmm,

ok, well, where do i score one of those wrenches?

Irish Jigger

Quote from: lyt on July 03, 2012, 02:36:31 PM

Try Shimano.
Welcome to the site Lyt.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: lyt on July 03, 2012, 02:36:31 PM
its a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful.....

heh hehmmmm,

Dawn at Smoothdrags has a 8 in 1 wrench that is very good...
I use one myself..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

lyt

great,

ok, the only thing i have left is to understand how to measure # and drag.   I'm not a rookie to fishing per se, but i am a rookie to servicing my own reels.   

I keep hearing 12#   18# at strike....etc.   

how do I know how many #'s i have?   is there a measurement gauge?   or a tool i don't have again :)

I want to see where i'm starting at.....and want to be sure that when i am finished, i have done it correctly with measurable results.....also if i have done something wrong...I will be able to know.   

redsetta

G'day lyt,
There's a wealth of info here about setting up your drag.
Here's a few to get you started:
Hope that helps.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

lyt

howsit Justin, Spent 4 years in South Africa, got to know alot of good aussie folk....   fearless is the word...  I would surf what the locals called 15-20'   the aussies would not even come out until 25'   :)

anyway...  I have an older spring scale in the tackle box that is used to weigh fish.....is this what we are talking about?   its not exactly digital!   doh!      Can i use this?  and more importantly will I really be able to get an accurate reading?

lyt

DOH....when did you change your info to NZ ?:) lol

sry mate....   dont know why Aussie was in my head!

must have been the g'day!

redsetta

No worries lyt, I lived (and surfed) in Oz for years and am a citizen there too. ;) ;D
A spring scale will do the trick (if it's a suitable size for the reel you're testing).
You can also fill a bucket with 'x' amount of water and use that.
Broadly speaking, 1 litre of water has a mass of 1kg (2.2lb)...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

lyt

Yeah I'm one of those crazy americans who loves the metric system....so much easier.    I also love soccer & cricket but don't tell anyone  :-X

I am wanting to clean up my reels overall as I do not know the condition completely.   The 25's and the 20 should be relatively "easy", the large daiwa: unknown, and the baitrunners look like a MAJOR mission from the tutorials ive seen here..

So, here's my understanding so far.   

1)  Since i dont know even what test i have on there or the condition of the line, i will probably replace.   what is a good # test for the 25's?  I will leave the line on there while I do the work i suppose to test.
2)  Dis-assemble as the tutorial
3)  get appropriate lubes
4) clean all parts as we go.   

what do you clean the basic parts with?    kerosene?    I know for the bearing, carb cleaner but i need something to clean it all up....should i use wd-40

alantani

sorry to jump in so late, but welcome.  been a way from the boards for a while.  took the kids fishing.  anyway, for the wrench, you have to go to shimano at 877-577-0600.  for handles, bearings, drags, drag grease and corrosion x, check with smoothdrag.com.  i have some handles as well in the for sale section.  these will keep you busy for a while.  please keep us posted on your progress.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lyt

thanks alan,

anyway, i will head over there....   it seems they have it all in location.....