Penn 12/0 Proper Grease Amount

Started by franky, June 29, 2012, 01:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Usually I do a lot of shoreline fishing reel servicing 6/0 and smaller reels.  Yesterday, however, I just serviced my first 12/0 senator monster trolling reel.  ;D

It was actually fun and reminded me of playing with the kids giant tinker toy or giant Lincon log set.  Anyway, when I took the reel apart, I noticed that the person who previously serviced the reel put heeps and globs of blue grease all over the place.  :o  I degreased everything and reinstalled everything including the bearings with grease.  Rather than globbing the entire sideplate with grease, I touched a few places with a light coat like I usually do for the 4/0 and jigmaster reels.

Is that okay, or is it better to glob on the grease?

redsetta

G'day franky,
A light coat is sufficient - generally speaking, enough to see your fingerprint.
However, a consistent thin coat on all surfaces is important, rather than just 'touching a few places'...
Too much grease will tend to hold grit etc.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Welcome to the big boyz Franky.  Lightly greased is good.  Allows salt water to exit the rel instead of getting held up in all that grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonF

Wow.  You screwed up bad.  Cracking open reels leads to reel servicing/customizing addictions!! ;)