Penn Int 50 VSW Handle

Started by elnath, June 29, 2012, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elnath

Ok, at this point I'm feeling very stupid....  

I'm reasonably handy, I know that the Penn International 50 VSW and related reels have a ridiculousness complicated handle replacement procedure....but I still can't figure it out...

I have several Penn's in the affected class.  Every-time I put one together, I can't get the handle on right.  What happens is the handle bindes when switching gears....  I have this effect on multiple reels...the shift button get stock in the spring loaded mechanism and I have to result to semi-drastic methods to get it out...

Any ideas of the problems?  This is pretty close to send it to Alan in a "zip lock bag" which I've only done once before and would love to avoid.....

kamuwela

check the handle retaining nut. the tabs tend to bend outwords and creates problems with the shifting mechanisim. make sure to hold the wrench stationary when tightening retaining ring. the tabs bend from turning the wrench and not the ring. if not you may need to replace the shifter catch holder. are the springs and tabs in properly in the catch holder?

elnath

I figured out what I was doing wrong...I kept putting the shifter catch holder assembly (key #170) in upside down!!!  When you do that it locks onto the shift plunger and that is the end of the story... :(

kamuwela