FG knot tutorial

Started by Danhans, June 29, 2012, 07:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Thanks for the tutorial,very informative.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

maxpowers

Great knot..Just learned to tie it last night and tested it on 65 lbs tufline and 50 lbs flouro.  Knot is holding well under a lot of drag.  I'll have to see how it will do once it is wet..

TravHale

I've been using this knot for the past 3-4 years. It's a great knot once you get used to tying it. I'm not sure i'd go through the trouble of buying those tools to tie the knot though. It's not that difficult...

Bunnlevel Sharker

I will give anyone who fishes with me 3 beers a pop to tie this for me. This scares me more than a bimini twist! Nice tutorial by the way
Grayson Lanier

TravHale

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 21, 2013, 07:42:11 PM
I will give anyone who fishes with me 3 beers a pop to tie this for me. This scares me more than a bimini twist! Nice tutorial by the way

Practice makes perfect. Grab some cheap mono and braid and start tying.

JGB

Grayson,

Check out the you tube on the 'Sebiel' knot. It is basically a relabeled 'FG'  and is not that difficult to tie with 30# to 80# leader (the FG tutorial is horrendously complicated and confusing compared to the slightly different Sebiel).
Start off with 50 wraps for thinner lines and 40 wraps or less for thicker lines. What is important is that the knot draws up and turns clear with pulling 30 to 50% of the leader test to tighten it. This knot works well with stiffer leader material and Flouro and tends to 'cut' off soft mono lines at 50% of line test. Test you knots to  failure with a scale and eye protection and if done properly you can expect nearly 90% to 110% of the labeled line test. I do not like to use Power Pro but prefer Ultracast, Super slick, hollow Ace which are all 8 or 16 carrier braids.

As said in previous post - practice a lot ( 50 connections will improve consistency to a reliable level).

Jim N.

erikpowell

Hey all, are these photos still here?  ??? I'm not getting them.
Meanwhile, I'll check out Jim's suggestion... ;)

maxpowers

Erik,

Check out the link to the sportsman's magazine knot test.  There is a video of the improved FG that broke at +120% above the line stated strength.  It looked really simple to do.

Mike

floating doc

I didn't get the photos or a link to a magazine knot test.   ???

I have been tying albright and bimini knots for decades, but apparently I need to learn a new knot for braid. I've seen a lot of differing opinions on bimini twists with braid as well.

Some tie as many as forty turns, but one of the articles in Sportfishing magazine was written by a someone that tested his knots on the IGFA's line tester and he found that twelve turn biminis were strongest.
Central Florida

maxpowers

doc,

Get on you tube and search for sportfishing magazine improved FG.  There are several other variations too.  All fairly easy to do especially if you are doing it at home.

erikpowell

Thanks Mike, I'll check that out.

in the meantime I found this video... the GT knot... simple and easy, I want to try using this one this weekend if the weather breaks.

For my heavy popping i use 100lb braid bimini,  loop to looped with a weave, to an 80-100lb mono twisted double leader.
....(I'll usually twist up 4-6 leaders at a time and keep them coiled up in a ziplock in my bag)
So these FG's and seibels and gt knots don't seem like they're loop to loop friendly,so i wouldn't change my normal proven way..

However,

For my lighter 15-65lb popping and jigging (the daily duty) I just double my braid (no knot) and use a uni to uni knot to my leader (usually fluoro)... and sure it bangs it's way thru the guides a bit... ;D... but it almost never fails.

BUT this is the knot I reckon could benefit from a change, and most certainly help casting distance..it has to be quick & easy though...
so I want to give that aussie guys GT knot a go.

Cheers

jonnou

there is alot of variations on all of these Knots I found a version of the GT which I think is easier and the mono has no Knot so would be lower profile. I have posted link In other threads (leader to braid conection)
I find even the uni to uni can be challenging at sea so usually have a spare reel and spool with leader tied
for soft plastics

Floating Doc I have heard the same about the bimini