FG knot tutorial

Started by Danhans, June 29, 2012, 07:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danhans

FG is my favorite knot to connect a mono leader/topshot to braided main line..
i prefer FG because it runs smoother through rod guides compare to albright..
i would like to share on how i do my FG knot..

first step is to tie the end of the main line to the first guide..

here's how it should look like..don't set the drag to tight..just enough to tighten the line..

place a mono leader at the mid point between reel and guide..take about 3-4 inch from the end of the mono..

now twist the mono around the braided line to the right..

twist to the left side then pull..

repeat the two steps above until it is about 1 inch long..

now release the knot at the rod guide

here's how it looks like..

make a half hitch knot

another half hitch knot...same as above but instead of going from bottom, it goes through the top..

this is how it looks..

repeat the process 3 or 4 times..

cut the extra mono..

repeat the knots another 3-4 times..then do the finishing knot

there you go..usually i put a little bit of super glue at the knot's end to secure it..

if you have any question please ask here..i will try my best to answer..

redsetta

Nice work Dan - will give that a try today.
Cheers, Justin
PS It's a 'half hitch'.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Thanks Dan.  I really gotta give this one a try.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Danhans

yesss..it's half hitch..thanks Justin!!
it takes a little practice to make a nice FG..take your time and do it very slowly..  ;D

Irish Jigger

Thank's Dan. It's a lot quicker than the method depicted in this video.

http://www.resourcefinder4u.com/japan_knots/japan-fg-knot.php

Danhans

the method i'm showing here doesn't require you to pull hard after wrapping the mono with braided..
because i'm taking advantage of the reel drag to keep the braided line tight every time you wrap..
dan

wallacewt

good one dan,lotsa folk will use your method

LTM

Dan,

What does FG stand for?

Leo

Dave Bentley

Quote from: LTM on July 01, 2012, 04:18:23 AM
Dan,

What does FG stand for?

Leo

LOL Keeping the 12 year rule in mind it means fery good knot. Especially tied like this. Very innovative.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

thanks Dan! when i used the FG or Sebile and PR knots i put tension on the mono or fluoro and then do the wraps with the braided line. this way it stretches the top shot thus the diameter is less and when you you're done and release the tension it's actually tighter....tight lines!

Danhans

Quote from: Mel B on July 01, 2012, 01:16:35 PM
thanks Dan! when i used the FG or Sebile and PR knots i put tension on the mono or fluoro and then do the wraps with the braided line. this way it stretches the top shot thus the diameter is less and when you you're done and release the tension it's actually tighter....tight lines!

that's a good idea too Mel...how do you put tension to the mono/fluoro line?? is there any special tool required??

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

EZ knotter;

http://www.saltywatertackle.com/product.php?id_product=506

video;

the no. of wraps i make depends on the size of the lines; thinner more wraps(30-40), thicker less wraps(20-30)

Bill B

Beautiful knots.... I'm just now starting to take knot tying as a hobby...didn;t know but there is a Knot Tying Association..will add this to my library.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

CaptKev

aus bass

Great Illustration. Thanks, i'll be changing the way i tie the Mid-Knot to this method from now on i think.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".