Oil Bearings?

Started by ShoreKasterHI, June 29, 2012, 11:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoreKasterHI

Hello all. I ordered these bearings awhile back for when i owned a few newells as back up (below for link). Well i have a Penn 4/0 and the bearings fit but i was wondering since they a ceramic balls should i oil them or leave them dry? The oil i plan on using use Penns Synthetic X-1R (figure i'd use up what i have before upgrading to TSI). Keep in mind i will be using this reel to cast.

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/7328/SR2CYZZ5NB2-01250x03750x01562

DinoD

redsetta

G'day SK,
Being hybrid bearings, they'll need some corrosion protection (particularly if exposed to salt).
The lube will compromise spin/speed to a degree, but longevity more than makes up for that.
Kevin's got a lot of experience in this area:
QuoteThe best free spin you can get with ceramic hybrids will be to use them dry on the inside. Just wipe the outside with a light oil or give it a quick spray with a can of spray oil.
If you want them to last as long as possible, or if they will be used around salt at all, they must be oiled on the inside also. Use a small amount of a light oil such as yellow rocket fuel.
Here are a few good links on ceramics/lube etc:Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Jim

Quote from: ShoreKasterHI on June 29, 2012, 11:36:11 PM
Hello all. I ordered these bearings awhile back for when i owned a few newells as back up (below for link). Well i have a Penn 4/0 and the bearings fit but i was wondering since they a ceramic balls should i oil them or leave them dry? The oil i plan on using use Penns Synthetic X-1R (figure i'd use up what i have before upgrading to TSI). Keep in mind i will be using this reel to cast.

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/7328/SR2CYZZ5NB2-01250x03750x01562

A scant drop (I use a needle oiler) would be perfect.
As for "upgrading to tsi" . . . I went back to the synthetic X-1R for it's corrosion prevention. Some times my reels go for long swims in the ocean . . . see avatar photo . . .

alantani

you could clean with carb or brake cleaner, then dunk them in your lube of choice, then blow out the excess with gentle compressed air or just let the excess wick out onto a clean cloth.  repeat after every fishing trip. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!