The stickiest lube is?

Started by JasonF, June 30, 2012, 06:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

I need a lube recommendation.  Something that will not rub off.  Its not for my reels but for my handguns that I carry concealed (legally BTW).  I have tried many expensive gun lubes but occasionally get corosion, so I want to try products not marketed for guns to find a solution.  A concealed handgun is in a harsh environment with body warmth and salty sweat, especially when I carry while fishing.  These are not cheapo guns and I take care of them like babies, so this issue has me stumped.  Any ideas will be appreciated.  Cheers! J

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bruce

Hello  Jason from what I have seen lately it looks like Eesox is great I also like Break Free and also use Kroil  as well as  the TS products.
             For your specific application I use Eesox great stuff ,actually Corrosion X is also good.
              Many choices and good products , but I believe for longevity of protection Eesox is the one.

Buzz
Buzz

dobrobill

You could also try rubbing them down with gun greese. Messy but it does stick.

C. M. Wolf

Hello Everyone.

I think I know of a product that will help out here very well... "Gun Silk" http://www.pullinarchery.com/gunsilk.htm

This stuff is absolutely great for firearms,(internal parts and external surfaces, it must be wiped out of the bore with at least one dry patch before firing any weapon as any lubes left in a bore can raise the CUP pressures beyond what's safe... a very, very, very thin layer is generally ok), and most reel apps,(gears, bearing, bushings, etc). I imagine a person may be able to eventually rub it off completely, but that would take some rubbing indeed. Mineral Spirits will wash it off completely.

The one thing that impressed me the most about this lube is that it's exactly what it's name says... "Silk". This stuff is ultra smooth and I have yet to freeze it to the point that it's hard to work whatever it has been applied to,(ok, that might not normally be too big of a deal for a lot of people, but I live in Montana... it gets a bit "Cold" here... hot in the summer too, still not a problem with this lube). I am simply a customer of this product, and I, in no way, make any kind of profit from it's sales or mfg'ing,(nor do I know anyone that does).

It simply works great for most light mechanical apps and I'm only trying to help here.

(Actually, I'm here trying to learn more on the application of Vaseline as a Marine Grease for a specific small boat application that I'm working on... But since I was a Firearms Instructor for the DOJ for awhile, I thought I'd help out with something that I know about.)

IHTH ;D

Michael

Jimmer

Do you want the stickiest grease ever all over your gun? Is this  for concealed carry?
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Rockfish1

Jason,
I've heard several people now swear by Sentry Solutions Tuf Cloth.....wipe once a week or something.  Haven't tried it yet so no personal experience.

I hunt a lot in wet and often salty environments (ducks and geese) and personally use Eezox all the time and Rust Prevent from Shooter's Choice when it's raining a lot or a lot of spray is coming aboard.  Eezox goes on wet and dries - Rust Prevent stays a bit waxy all the time.

I personally think both Rust Prevent and Mercury Corrosion Guard spray are better solutions than Boeshield - which a lot of people like but which stays really gooey for my taste.  The Merc Corrosion Guard is made for outboard motors and is working really well for me right now in a test I've got going on a mower deck that I use near salty water all the time...it has some rust spots and I'm trying to keep them from spreading.  If it continues to work as good as it presently is I'm going to try it on guns.  It's safe for painted surfaces so I'm thinking it will be the same on guns.

Hal

JasonF

Great information here.  Now I am going to try to find these products and see how they work.  My father, who also carries daily, swears by Tetra lubes and has no issue with his Wilson.  I dont know if it is my body chemistry or what.  I must be extra corrosive!  If I were about 30 years older I would just carry in a fanny pack!!  Problem solved!! ;)

C. M. Wolf

I had also delt with helping to change a person's "Body PH",(I also have two degrees in Fitness/Physical Training), To begin changing your body's ph from being quite so acidic, take magnesium and calcium tablets that can be found at most health foods/drug stores, also eating far more vegetables is strongly recommended.
Drinking alcohol can also raise the acid levels in your blood ph because your body turns this alcohol into blood-sugars. Also eating dairy products and meat items together,(like pizza), create a latic acid that forms in your muscle tissues that help to raise the acidic levels of your body,(latic acids are strong enough to eat the enamel off your teeth, which is the second hardest know substance in the world). If your salt intake is high, it may be a good idea to lower this also, as salt in your body also raises your body's acid levels.

The natural oils in every person's hand and feet are loaded with acids, it's recommended to wash your hands before handling carbon steel items,(firearms), and wiping your finger prints off the steel so that they are not left to corrode the finishes. Even many "Stainless Steels" have a high carbon content which allows them to rust,(just at a slower rate than std high carbon steels).

IHTH

Michael

I carried a handgun for 25 years as a  cop in a coastal county. Often times I also patrolled via boat. Don't use to thick a oil on you slide if you carry a semi auto. I tried Phil Whites Tenacious Oil and it will stay on the sidearms exterior but if anything other than a light oil intrudes onto the slides rail you will most likely end up with a misfire for a second round. It happened on me using a Sig with its tight tolerances.  I found simply coating the guns exterior finish with turtle wax paste prevented a lot of corrosion.

JasonF

I would have never thought of turtle wax, but that makes sense.  Funny you mention too thick oils on the slide.  I recently purchased a bottle of Wilson Ultima Lube II.  Thick stuff.  I used it to lube my Kimber Solo, which had over 700 malfunction free rounds through it.  I immediately had about a 20% malfunction rate...I knew why.  I field stripped it at the range, wiped down the slide/frame interface, threw on some Rem oil, and went back to zero malfunctions.  Lesson learned.

alantani

the stickiest stuff i can think of is that light blue grease for boat trailer wheel bearings.   i worked on a couple of reels that had it inside and it was a mess. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!