Question: Okuma Isis. Okuma Warranty repair failed me.

Started by Chris Musselman, June 30, 2012, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Musselman

Hi guys, I have an Okuma Isis that grinds while reeling. I've sent the reel into Okuma twice now and the last time I sent it in they called me and the guy I talked to said he had it in his hands and he didn't see what was wrong with it. I was like "turn the handle and tell me you can't hear and feel the thing grinding".

The first time they claimed to have replaced the gear and pinion and performed a relube. The second time they replaced the bearings and spool assembly. I couldn't believe when I got the reel back the second time that nothing had changed. I am in the middle of the musky season right now and decided to fish with it, but after 70+ hrs throwing baits I can't take it anymore.

I have an Akena (same style) and when compared there is an extreme difference so I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy.

Question: Should I take the time to order another gear and pinion and replace it myself and/or could it be something else? Can someone on this board fix this problem (I'm willing to pay). Or should I go through the hassle of sending it back to California with the chance that they send the reel back a third time with no fix?

At this point I just want this reel to be fishable! Thanks for any replies.

Tile

Get the schematic for this reel and take it apart. Check the pinion and main gears for damage and also check all the bearings for rough functioning.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

I'd say send it back with a long explaination of the problem and ask them to compare with a new reel.  maybe then they will have a clue.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Killerbug

Dear Chris,

try to contact Richard Smith, he is already doing reels for many Musky guys, I am sure he can help.

http://esoxhunt.dk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=75

/Morten.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time