Jigmaster 500

Started by Jerseymic, July 01, 2012, 02:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseymic

Hi Guys,
I have aquired a jigmaster 500 with a red plastic spool, spacer bars, reel seat, rings need replacing (corrosion)
Question,: I would like to use a jigmaster for fishing, do I refurbish this one for use, or refurbish it and keep it for a collector, then buy a more up to date version for use (even if they are chinese!!!!) Your help would me much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

usncporet

I recently acquired a couple 500's and discovered this site, also. Since then I have found 209's, 309's a 65 and more 500s. I would say you should repair it using Alan's great tutorials and use the heck out of it! Great site here and the tutorials and overall help from the members is the best!

Bryan Young

The cost will be far too great to make it fish able with a plastic spool. I recommend that you find a good used one or buy a new one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jerseymic

Thanks for the reply guys.

Even though I am a beginner at all this, you have confirmed my thoughts Bryan, so if I can't find a good used one here in the UK, a new one it will be!.

Many thanks,

Mike.

usncporet

Didn't read it that you were replacing the spool too. Yea, that would probably make it not worth it. Sure would look nice all cleaned up though.

Jerseymic

Yes I will clean it up and keep it as a collector, should look nice all polished up.

Irish Jigger

Have you considered converting your 500 to a 501 (narrow)?
I converted one and fitted a 24-56 power handle. It holds 360 yards of 40lb Dynon braid and with a 4:1 gear ratio it is a great little reel for general boat fishing.
The parts you need are 1x 30-49 stand, 4x 37-49 posts and an aluminium spool.(handle is optional)
The stand and posts are readily available in the UK and will cost about £10 + postage.
The aluminium spool will be difficult to obtain here but if you really needed one I am sure Alan T could source one for you.
The conversion is very straight forward.
There's an interesting thread here  re 500/501 conversions.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4199.0

Jerseymic

Hi Irish,

Thanks for the input, I never thought of the narrow conversion, I had thought of just restoring it to put on the shelf and buying a Shimano TLD Star 15/30 to use in a light set up for trolling for bass from a boat, now I'm in a quandry!!

Mike.

Irish Jigger

Hi Mike,hopefully some of the Penn guys will come on here to extol the virtues of these very underestimated Penn 501 Jigmasters.
The TLD Star 15/30 is a great little reel too so you will be ok there.
Fished for Bass in Guernsey with the late Arnie Brehuit a few years back and he swore by the Shimano Charter Specials.

Tom.

Jerseymic

Hi Tom,

I have not fished in the islands since I moved from Jersey to Cornwall in 1988. Besides boat fishing, I used to like fishing the gulley's on the south east coast (excellent for bass) and spinning from the bottom of the cliffs on the north. Unfortunately most shore fishing is out for me now, I have a knackered spine which makes walking any distance a problem.
A couple of guys I know here have small boats, and are kind enough to take me out to wet the line now and again. Who knows, in the future when the house renovation is finished I might have a boat of my own!! (if there is any money left after the work, and all the reels I would like to aquire!!)

Mike.