Cheap Thrills....Urban Angling.

Started by Steve-O, July 01, 2012, 04:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Here in the high mountain desert of western USA there are pretty much 3 options for angling.

1) the reservoirs
2) the urban fishery
3) leave. head to the coast -left or right. book a flight to somewhere else to fish.

This weekend my best choice was option#2 - the urban fishery.

Turned out to be a great choice. The reservoirs are huge featureless bodies of water with prop chop, wind and pleasure boaters. The urban fishery is way easier on the wallet than either other choices. And there's what I call the Forrest Gump Factor = "ya never know whatcha gonna get"

Loaded up the kayak, gear, drinks and snacks and hit the road to a local pond right smack downtown in a nearby small city.

tally for the day was 4 channel cats, 3 junior carp, and 2 big boy carp - a 12# mirror and a 15# Common.

The first cat. Yum! tasty kitty!

Another kitty-cat. See what I mean about being in town. Those apts are sitting on the water.

Junior carp.

The Mirrror carp near the boat.
\

Near my water sandal.

Not liking my water sandal! ;D

Netted for weighing, photo and release.

The 15# common carp

Some float tubers took these pics for me.

Nice weather, nice company on the water, some very envious shore bound anglers who watched me stand up in the yak when the 15 # common towed me across the pond AND back! All in all a very nice less than Ten dollar trip .....Ka-Ching!!!

Steve-o

seaeagle2

A day on the water, good weather, fish, a day that can't be beat, plus low cash outlay even better....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

redsetta

Great work Steve-O - thanks for sharing.
I fish off my paddle board a good bit these days and share your enthusiasm for the simplicity of it all. ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Steve-o:  You work hard and fish easy.  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B