Okuma Reel maintenance questions from a first timer

Started by Mattymo92, July 02, 2012, 03:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattymo92

This weekend I decided that I would take my first attempt ever completely disassembling, cleaning, and regreasing and oiling one of my reels.. Since I have never done so before I decided to try it on a cheap reel that I wouldn't miss too much if I messsed it up, so I did an Okuma Fin Chaser Model FN-90-65Yb from an old, cheap (but suprisingly dependable) combo I bought a few summers ago when first getting into surf fishing.. Everything seemed to go along flawlessly except for one thing.. The anti-reverse switch slid right out along with another small peice before I got a chance to see how it fit together.. The small peice looks like a small U shaped piece of metal. Im still having trouble figuring it out how to get it back in the reel.. If anyone knows a site where I could find schematics I would really appreciate it.. I emailed Okuma but am still yet to get a response about schematics. My other problem is that the reel feels very sluggish now. It is smooth but just feels slow and almost labored to turn. If i were to spin it as fast as I can and let go the handle spins maybe twice and will come to a dead hault where as before it would just keep on spinning nice and smooth. Does anyone know what mistake I may have made? Maybe too much grease? Too little? I know its a cheap reel but I don't really want to be down a reel since I still use it often and also because I would like to know what mistakes I might have made before I attempt to do any other reels... I have a NIB 9500SS that probably needs some new grease after sitting in a case for years so after I understand my mistakes Im eventually gonna give it a try (at least I have schematics for that one.) Thank you in advance for any help. I really appreciate it.

- Matt M.

redsetta

G'day and welcome Matt,
Here's a schematic for the 65-80, which may be of some assistance:
The part that fell out is most likely #801, which slides in near the AR switch (though within the frame) between the AR rod (#800) and the frame.
It creates tension on the flat spot in the AR rod and allows the switch to 'flip' back and forth as it engages/disengages.
The sluggishness may be the result of too much grease, or the rotor nut (#318) could have been over-tightened.
There are some other possibilities, but that's a starting point at least.
RE: the 9500SS, that'll be great fun - it's a cracker bit of gear (this may help when you start into it: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3074.0)
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

hi matt
when its all new to you,
have a look at the tutorials and see
if you have a reel that somebody has already
serviced.
then just follow what they did
works for me

Dave Bentley

Good Luck Matt, lots of good people here who will come up with a fix eventually.

All this leads to question I have asked a lot but never had a decent answer.
Why do most, almost all, eggbeaters have the option to turn off the AR.

I find it easier to pull line off the spool rather than risk a tangle.
Answers so far are, 1. Easier for the manufacturer to fit in a smaller box, 2, Some people like to use the reel on top of the rod. (That dill lost a regular customer for being a smart a*se)

Seems to be an extra production cost for very little gain.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Clem

Hi Dave

I have used the function on smaller reels to back wind small lures in current...also the odd gang hooked pilchard, just to keep it in the zone longer

Otherwise its never used..probably why you don't see them on the larger spinners or at least the HD spinners

Irish Jigger

Hi Matt, welcome aboard.
Lucky guy having a NIB 9500SS, great reel.
Good Luck with your Okuma rebuild.

Mattymo92

Thanks everyone! The schematics are a great help! I tried loosening the rotor nut to see if that helped but the reel still felt a bit sluggish, so then I tried loosening the screw on the side of the reel opposite of the handle that holds the handle in. It seemed to loosen a bit but still feels off.. It feels good enough to use now though so I think I can live with it haha.... Now... the only problem im having is that little U shaped spring that holds in the AR switch.. My girlfriend cleaned up the area surrounding my reel parts and it has seemed to have disappeared  >:(  :-\  Im gonna email Okuma and see if I can get another one.. If not I'll just figure out a way to plug the hole where the switch went.. It stays in Anti-reverse without the switch so Im cool with that..

Thanks again for all the help everyone!  :)

P.S.- I can't wait to give my 9500ss rebuild a try, wish me luck! I'll report back after I get a chance to do it.

- Matt M.

redsetta

Nice work Matt - glad it's worked out.
Cheers, Justin
PS Over-tightening the side-plate screws can also cause the main gear to bind slightly, so it might pay to check that too.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer