Source for open bearings

Started by elnath, July 02, 2012, 11:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elnath

Does anybody know a source for open bearings in small sizes other than McMaster Carr?

I leave the spool bearings open and oiled with TSi301, but on the really small bearing (like under 3/8) I find it very difficult to get the metal shields off without damaging the bearings or races.

Pro Reel

Quote from: elnath on July 02, 2012, 11:48:01 AM
Does anybody know a source for open bearings in small sizes other than McMaster Carr?

I leave the spool bearings open and oiled with TSi301, but on the really small bearing (like under 3/8) I find it very difficult to get the metal shields off without damaging the bearings or races.

Check the boca bearings site. They have several bearings available with rubber seals. The seals are easily removed with a needle. I know all of the ceramic hybrid orange seal bearings are available, but those might be more expensive than you want. I have seen severaal stainless bearing with seals in some sizes. Just put your size in a search window and read the stats of all available bearings in that size to find a stainless with seals.

Gman_WC

Elnath, Did you ever find a source for the open bearings? -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

I thought you could order shieldless bearing from Boca, but it would have to be a substanial amount what ever that was.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gman_WC

How hard is it to remove the shield from a stock bearing?
I'd like to start replacing all of my old squidder and Jigmasters
with new bearings if replacments (non ceramic) are not available without shields. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Gman_WC on July 21, 2012, 12:03:58 AM
How hard is it to remove the shield from a stock bearing?
I'd like to start replacing all of my old squidder and Jigmasters
with new bearings if replacments (non ceramic) are not available without shields. -g

In my Opinion..   The smaller the bearing the harder it is to remove..
Seems the smaller size makes the shield (Feel) stronger and very difficult to pry up & out..
Anything less then 10mm OD is almost impossible to do without damaging the bearing..

Sharp Fishing hooks, in various sizes, are my go to for this operation...
Some of the Circle Hooks seem to work best, as the point has a curl for prying up....

If any one has a secret to do this.   PLEASE let us know.   lol  :-)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

captbob

The fish hook is what I use, for the smallest bearings, I have found a #16 fly fishing hook works most times the best, they are fine wire and easy to bend in the configuration you need, and super fine pointed. I use a small pair of needle nose pliers (micros) or small vise grips, and stay close to the barb as they bend easy, springy. One word of advice, pinch the barb closed before you attempt to use them, if you slip, they go into the thumb easy, but don't come out that way!
Fish Hard or Go Home!

elnath

Quote from: Gman_WC on July 18, 2012, 03:01:36 AM
Elnath, Did you ever find a source for the open bearings? -g

Well, sorta kinda....

McMaster Carr sells ABEC 5 without shields, but in only a few sizes (fortunately that includes Penn/Newell spool bearings).  Maybe it's just me, but my success rate on removing the shield from 1/8" bearings is about 50-50% which ends up making them pretty expensive to do it.  For the spool bearings I've gone to just doing an overnight soak in TSI301 with the hope that is penetrates without removing them.

Bryan Young

if the bearings have a retainer ring, it's pretty easy.  I hold the bearing in pliers and use a very sharp, wide gap worm hook (thank's Jonathan Han), or a dental pick that I grind down with my dremel to an extremely thin, sharp point.

If the bearing is a press in type, that's a hard one.  Those, I soak in TSI301 and stir it around a bit. 

Penn bearings usually has press in shields, and they are thick shields as well.  But, Penn bearings are very strong bearings.  Those, I have a different dental pick.  It's a straight one and is also sharpened, but not to a very thin point, but sharp.  I poke in between the shield and the inner race then pry up. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lyt

extremely sharp corkscrew.   thats what worked for me.....
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...