Penn 24-117 Handle

Started by carls, July 02, 2012, 11:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carls

Anyone know where I can find a Green 24-117 handle for a Penn 16/0?  The one I have was dropped and the handle seperated from the arm.

alantani

the best i can do is a kolekar replacement grip.  a 6/0 would be a good choice for this reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

If Alan's doesn't help maybe the one that I have might, but it is an older one with no numbers. It does fit a 98-117 sleeve nice and snug, as you can see from the pictures. Let me know if you're interested, your cost would be $40 plus shipping costs. The ss sleeve that I'm showing is not included and not for sale. The handle shows light scratches all over, but it is new.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

carls

That is a beautiful handle and a great offer.  Henry at Betty & Nicks found a brown/red one that is used but in excellect condiditon.  I picked it up and may use it. 

I also drilled out the "rivit" on the damaged handle.  It's not a rivit as described on some posts.  It's a solid brass stem with a machined head hidden within the handle.  The "rivit" is the swegged head on the other end.

You can salvage this by prying the actual handle, carefully, off the chrome plated stem.  It's molded on but the stem only has a light knurl parallel to the shaft.  It'll pull right off but again, be careful.  The only part you'll have to re-make is the internal brass stem which I did on the lathe in under 10 minutes.

Alto Mare

Very interesting Carl. Could you show us some pictures when you're Done? I never had luck with them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

carls

Alto,  for some reason I haven't yet figured out, I can not attach the pictures.

Any suggestions?

Carl

Keta

Quote from: carls on July 15, 2012, 09:16:47 PM
You can salvage this by prying the actual handle, carefully, off the chrome plated stem.  It's molded on but the stem only has a light knurl parallel to the shaft.  It'll pull right off but again, be careful.  The only part you'll have to re-make is the internal brass stem which I did on the lathe in under 10 minutes.

You got a handle off the shaft!!!!  Please let me know how, I keep breaking them trying.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

El Pescador

Carl,
Not being mechanically minded, what does the word, "SWEGGED", mean??
Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks.
Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

Crimped is about the best I can tell you.  The ends of hydraulic hoses are swedged on to the hose.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

carls

Sorry about the typo.  To remove the handle, there are 2 ways.  1 with the stamped handle in place and one with the handle removed.  The assembly comprises of the knob which is molded on to the round chrome shaft.  The shaft is 2.00 long x .510 outside diameter x .310 internal diameter.  It has a light horizontal knurl under the molded knob to help hold it in place.  There's an internal brass shaft that has an outside diameter of .3095 that the handle / knob rotates on.  It has a flange (head) on either end that captures it.  One end is visible and looks like a rivet head on the stamped handle.

1. Drill out the swaged head (looks like a rivet head) with a 1/4 drill bit.  Be careful and be sure you're on center.  Once the head is drilled off, the internal brass shaft will spin so you can't drill any further.  The internal brass shaft is .3090 inches in diameter.  Once you have the stamped handle removed place the round chrome plated shaft in a padded vice and tighten.  Using a nail set or punch and a hammer, strike the brass shaft with enough force to push the knob off.

2.  Without removing the stamped handle, cut a piece of wood roughly 12 long x 1.5 thick.  This will rest between the stamped handle and the knob allowing 1/4 inch between he wood and the knob.  Gently, with a large screwdriver or preferably another piece of wood, wedge it between the wood block (1.5) and the knob and pry very gently on one side.  Stop - rotate the knob 180 degrees and gently pry the opposite side.  You'll have to do this several times but the knob will come off.  If you pry too hard, the knob will crack so go slowly.

One additional thing:  You can submerge the knob in hot water for ~5 minutes - than immediatly put it into an ice bath for ~5 min.  The thermal shock should help break the plactic knob away from the metal shaft.

Carl

Keta

Thanks carls, I owe you a pair of Senator SS anti reverse dogs of your choice for this.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Nice job Carl, thanks for showing it to us. I will give it a try, but on smaller handles first ;D.
I've seen one of those handles go for $140 in the past.