NOW A REAL REEL QUESTION

Started by HOLEINTHEWATER, July 03, 2012, 11:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOLEINTHEWATER

I TAKE MY REELS AND FRIENDS, APART ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR. THE PROBLEM WE HAVE IS DIRT AND FINE SAND GETS INTO THEM. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE LEVEL WIND SCREW GET CLOGGED. I'VE BEEN USING QUANTUM  OIL AND GREASE. IS THERE A DRY LUBE I CAN USE ON THE LEVEL WIND TO KEEP DIRT OFF?

DAVE

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i haven't used it yet because don't know where to get it here in brazil but if you want you can try chain lubricants for moto x and mountain bikes.

Ken_D

Lube and oil combinations are the source of contstant experimentation. and big money generated for the economy, as folks chase brand after brand, and try lube after lube, before using up what they just spent 20.00 on. Rodsters like to be unique, and come up with the winning formula for their area, and fishing style.

Investigate a synthetic dry 'garage door lube'. They come in a spray bomb, and are not too spendy. A typical can will last you years and years, and be good the the car doors, house doors, etc, as well.

I've had great luck with the garage door branding of the USA 'super slick stuff'. They sell it here as hytek garage door lube. Same stuff, different name.

Bryan Young

I'm trying TSI321 for this. It supposed to be slightly dry and should not allow contaminants to stick
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

not really.  a quick rinsed and a blow dry with a compressor might be your best bet. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brendan

Anything is better than saltwater. By breaking your reels down twice a year you are on top of it and should have no worries. Cleaning after each trip and reel covers help as well.
Tight Lines, Brendan.

JasonF

WHEN I READ YOUR POST THE VOICE IN MY HEAD WAS YELLING BECAUSE OF YOUR USE OF CAPS LOCK!!! :)

Dominick

Quote from: JasonF on July 06, 2012, 09:37:50 PM
WHEN I READ YOUR POST THE VOICE IN MY HEAD WAS YELLING BECAUSE OF YOUR USE OF CAPS LOCK!!! :)

What?  Stop yelling, I can hear you.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gman_WC

You must be casting from the beach to get sand in the pawl! ;D
What about a tooth brush and compressed air to clean and relube with dry lube for bike chains?
After my once a years, I only do a Salt-x spray, scrub reel/rods with fine brush, and a water rinse with drags tight after every adventure!
After an hour or so I'll back off the drags with clicker on.
I just picked up my first levelwind, a Mag10 off of Fleabay.
Most of what I do is boat time and It will be for inshore light tackle rockcod.
I'm looking to go lighter that my 146 with 14#.  ::)
-g
Walnut Creek, CA