Penn International 50 - Cal Sheets 2 speed & Blueprint Custom

Started by Gaujo, July 03, 2012, 07:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaujo

I was fortunate to have acquired this thing of beauty.  It is a Penn International 50 with a Tiburon frame and stand.  I have always wanted to see how these things work, so I broke it down to clean it.  I can't tell how long ago the conversion was, but 90% of moving parts were still well lubricated, and all of the important parts were.
UPDATE:  The conversion was Sept 1990, 12 years ago!  

-Note the following additions/upgrades
-New gears
-new pinion, which is exactly the right diameter for the spool
-New handle arm connector
-Spacer plate between handle side plate and the spool, to accommodate the new gearing
-Different drag washer config, 4 thicker washers (()), with a spacer on far side of spool.

This is not suitable for a rebuild as literally there was nothing to do but make sure I didn't break anything, and add a little lubricant in a few spots.  Without further ado...

Pic1: Gears
Pic2: Spacer plate
Pic3: Drag assembly (is that asbestos?)
Pic4: Drag washer profile shot

Video of gear function
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

Gaujo

Just got word from Eric Sheets regarding the sticker I found on the drag plate cover, and the unusual drag washer.  He responded 10 min after I emailed him.  What a class act!

It appears that the drag washer is different than when the reel left here. Looks like it was done in 1990 for 80lb. So it's been 22 years since it has been to our shop ....
Now we only use a version of Penn's Dura Drag washers. We buy them and then modify them to our specifications and then install them. we also have to re-machine the cam and stainless plate to use them too.  Things has difinately changed since it was here ...
--

Thanks, Eric

Cal's 2-Speed Reel Conversions
2050 Central ave.
Duarte, CA., USA 91010
(626)357-4441
www.cals2speed.com

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Gaujo on July 03, 2012, 07:07:41 PM

No. It is one of the super-duper friction materials from the early days of Smooooth Drag Co, when Dawn and her husband sold complete replacement drag washers for the Internationals.

Gaujo

Quote from: Robert Janssen on July 03, 2012, 08:39:00 PM

No. It is one of the super-duper friction materials from the early days of Smooooth Drag Co, when Dawn and her husband sold complete replacement drag washers for the Internationals.

Do you guys think I should I keep it in?

Robert Janssen

Do as you like.

Or just ask Cal, Eric or Dawn.

(To be honest though, I've never found a material better than the fabled HT-100 and its siblings. And i have tested literally dozens, if not a hundred, different materials.)

However, this drag washer was installed with the clear conscience, knowledge and good intentions by the crew at Cal's and Smoooooth Drag; it didn't get there by mistake. They chose it for a reason.

Note, do NOT apply grease to this drag material.

George4741

Quote from: Gaujo on July 03, 2012, 10:52:13 PM
Quote from: Robert Janssen on July 03, 2012, 08:39:00 PM

Do you guys think I should I keep it in?

If it is smooth and provides the amount of drag you need, then keep it as-is.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

i would recommend replacing it with a new penn dura drag.  grease it with cal's grease as usual. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gaujo

Quote from: alantani on July 05, 2012, 05:33:59 AM
i would recommend replacing it with a new penn dura drag.  grease it with cal's grease as usual.  

(Said Alan in a booming voice ;) )

Here I come CF!  It is ironic that just 2 weeks ago I was sharing with someone that they would have to buy the new drive plate + drag washer for the 50, because the HT-100 washer is no longer available.  Further, it increased from about $33 to $52 since then.  

As my grandpa would say
Psha!

Gaujo

Quote from: George4741 on July 04, 2012, 08:08:38 PM
If it is smooth and provides the amount of drag you need, then keep it as-is.

It is not smooth.  The ramp up is drastic and happens 1/3 up the arc, and no amount of preset corrects this.

redsetta

G'day Gaujo,
Sounds like you've got it sorted - the greased dura drag will be smooth as.
May be worth having another look at the belleville configuration, though, as they control the ramp up.
Looks like a cracker bit o' gear you got there!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer