113H Stainless gear sleeve questions

Started by seaeagle2, July 04, 2012, 06:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

I'm installing the Stainless gear sleeves on a couple of my 113H's, I had to drive the old pin out of the brass gear sleeve, but the pin for the stainless one slipped right in and seems like it might slide around, am I missing something, or is that how it is. Thanks
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Irish Jigger

It should be a press fit. Just squeeze one end of the pin in a vice (or use pliers) to displace the metal slightly and fit to sleeve by entering the slack end first. It will not come out when the main gear /drag stack is fitted even if it is loose. The hole in the sleeve may be drilled slightly oversize.

Makule

Quote from: seaeagle2 on July 04, 2012, 06:13:27 PM
I'm installing the Stainless gear sleeves on a couple of my 113H's, I had to drive the old pin out of the brass gear sleeve, but the pin for the stainless one slipped right in and seems like it might slide around, am I missing something, or is that how it is. Thanks

Normally, the pin and hold are slightly distorted on one end so that the pin will not slide through.  If it feels too loose, you can smash the pin (very slightly towards one end using a small punch), but it really should not be a problem because the pin will be confined by the drag washers and cannot fall out anyway.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

Quote...but it really should not be a problem because the pin will be confined by the drag washers and cannot fall out anyway.
x2 - found the same thing on the 113H sleeve I recently fitted to my 349HC...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

seaeagle2

I squished the end in a vice, slid it in, and used a pair of channel lock pliers to give it a little squeeze.  Then I took a spare star drag, put it on to protect the threads, and used a file to clean up the burr so the gear would slide on. Thanks for the advice.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

A few of mine slid right in with no or little resistance.  The spacer covers the gear sleeve pin, so I'm not worried about it coming out.  There is very little, I mean very little play in my gear sleeve, so it'll be alright.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

it's been inconsistent.  in the batch that is currently available, the pin is too loose.  i would rather see a "slip" fit.  that was supposed to be fixed with the run that was just delivered. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!