Avet MXL Issues

Started by dodgy, July 07, 2012, 12:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgy

I have an Avet MXL Im looking at for a friend. Doesnt have a nice freespool. Ive played with it a bit. All seems fine but as soon as the body goes back on the freespool drops out. Brand new reel and spooled up with 6kg mono.

akfish

Does the spool free spool well when it is not in the reel? If so, your bearings are probably OK. In this case, check to see if you have grease on the edes of the spool; the tolerances are so tight that grease on the edges of the spool can affect free spool. Another thing: Did you put so much grease on the drag washer that it rubs the drag plate in free spool? Wipe it down and check.  If these aren't the problem,  then odds are that you have an issue with the belleville washers on the left side of the spool. Make sure they are arranged correctly. As a test, you might remove one of them and see if that affects free spool. That may not solve the problem because removing a belleville washer affects the drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: akfish on July 07, 2012, 04:04:57 PM
Does the spool free spool well when it is not in the reel? If so, your bearings are probably OK. In this case, check to see if you have grease on the edges of the spool; the tolerances are so tight that grease on the edges of the spool can affect free spool. Another thing: Did you put so much grease on the drag washer that it rubs the drag plate in free spool? Wipe it down and check.  If these aren't the problem,  then odds are that you have an issue with the belleville washers on the left side of the spool. Make sure they are arranged correctly. As a test, you might remove one of them and see if that affects free spool. That may not solve the problem because removing a belleville washer affects the drag.

Well said.....   Agree.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

do you have the MC version? if  so that's it because the Magic Cast uses a magnet to minimize backlash....

dodgy

Pretty much confirming my suspicions on the bellevilles. That was the next step last night before the red wine fairy intervened. Will take one out tonight when I get home from work and see how it goes.

alantani

any possibility that someone forgot the sleeve between the two spool bearings?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!