bearing question?

Started by galaxyc3, July 07, 2012, 01:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galaxyc3

i have two vintage ambassaduers, a 6000 (030902) and a 4-screw 5000 (392014) and im wanting to put bearings in both of them, problem is im not sure what size to get seeing as im new to all this. i saw in another post with a similar 6000 the size 3.175 x 10 x 4 but when i searched boca i had no results for that size.

does anyone know the size i should use? (if not how can i find out?)
and anyone know a place to get a decent quality handle at a good (cheap lol) price?

also i searched ebay for bearings and some of them said mini, but they still had the same measurements on them (example 3 x 10 x 4), is there a difference? or do some people just call them mini cause there small?

these reels have sentimental value seeing as my papaw gave them to me, and id like to get them in tip top shape and make take them fishing with us if i get the time to go with him again (complicated work schedule), he probably aint used them in over a decade if not more.

GulfOfBothnia

Hi,

Safest way to go is to measure the spool shaft diameter. It could be 3 or 3.175 mm. Most likely 3mm.
Open the 3 captive screws from the right (handle) side plate and pull the whole assembly off. Now you can measure the spool shaft diameter.
Just watch out that you don't lose the break blocks that are in the spool shaft pin.

If bearing spec says 3x10x4 that's all you need to know. No matter if it is called miniature bearing or not.

I have heard stories that putting bearings into old ambassadeur does not necessary work well. The old bushings are self-centering but new bearings are not.
The result depends on how well all parts align with each other.  Remember this is just what I have read/heard. No experience on this.
It would be interesting to test anyway.

Hope this helps.

Im not certain on the bearing size but it wouldnt be 3.175, Im sure.  Those Abus have lots of life to them and will serve you well. Id stay far away from ebay bearings they can come from very suspicious mainland China sources.  Boca Bearings is a fine source but Jerry at hookless.com can be a HUGE volume of knowledge to you and your reels.  He can do the work for you or talk you through it and help you with the bearing sizes. But Im sure somebody will pipe up soon who knowd their size off the top of their head!  I find that vintage of Abu's with the non slotted takedown thumb screws to be great reels.

Nessie Hunter

Do yourself a favor and go buy a cheap Digital Micrometer. 
Harbor freight has them for $10 or $15.. 
They work great... 
Close enough for Reel Work..

Then measure the bushings,  Know what you need or take the chance of buying the wrong ones...

Make sure Bearings is what you want also..   
A lot of good can be said about bushings!! (if thats what they have in them).
Unless your a true die hard casting master (Bass angler etc) the bushing will be better for you in many ways (Way less maintenance ~ last almost forever)....

Those are not great casting reels in the first place (IMO), you may be disappointed with the results..

Mini, Tiny, Sports, Skate Board.   Big, Small, Tiny..   
Doesnt matter as long as the size matches.
Also agree to stick with known makers..   
Boca or Smoothdrags.com..  Quality is important....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Ken_D

Hi. The older Abus use a 3.175 ID bushing. Boca, and a couple of UK outfits offer off-size bearings for about 20.00 + a pair. For fisher reels, the simplest way around this, is to machine the axle shafts down to 3 millimeters, and use standard bearings. For collector reels, it's in the case, and not fished, so it could be left stock.  Jerry Foran (great dude) over at hookless dot com, uses his drill press and a file. Works for him. Works for me too.

Or spend the coin :)              http://www.therocketreelcompany.com/en/5-rocket-reel-bearings

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/14754/SMR103CZZ31755AF2-3175x10x4

http://www.hookless.com/

Good fishing and fixing. KD

galaxyc3

good to know. guess i will give them an exra detailed cleaning and lube and see how they cast to make sure that is what i want to do. i ordered some abu garcia lube/oil from taklewarehouse during their 4th of july sale (15% off sale, i even ordered a new c3) so im sure thatll help.

also about these break blocks, what are they and where can i get some if need be? (cause im not sure if they have them or not, like i said they sat well over a decade without being touched)

thanks for all the input so far :)

GulfOfBothnia

break blocks... my misspelling.
Should be brake blocks. They are tiny bits of fiber (or plastic in newer models).

They are are part of centrifugal brake mechanism that decelerates the spool during the cast.

Take a look at this picture:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxctCOLrJH_qv3k3J4erf7FMQS0KNBR2ep2lCykuIjqgbbeBQ3y3Kk5yFj

Brake blocks are those black small cylinders in the spool pins.

galaxyc3

where would be a good place to get some of thoes? is their a specific size i should be looking for ?

GulfOfBothnia

Those blocks are available in three sizes
- large: part number 1881
- mid: part number 1880
-small: part number 1844

You should be able to find them in many sources in the US.
Or ebay: E.g.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ambassadeur+brake+block&_sacat=0&_odkw=ambassadeur&_sop=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40

It's up to you what size you prefer. It depends on many factors like wind, lure weight, your rod, casting skills, ...
So there is no straight answer... you need to start testing what works for you in different conditions.
It's easiest to start with large blocks.

alantani

Quote from: galaxyc3 on July 07, 2012, 01:38:54 PM
i have two vintage ambassaduers, a 6000 (030902) and a 4-screw 5000 (392014) and im wanting to put bearings in both of them, problem is im not sure what size to get seeing as im new to all this. i saw in another post with a similar 6000 the size 3.175 x 10 x 4 but when i searched boca i had no results for that size.

there was an odd size that i came across once, but it was for a bushing.  i remember trying to put a bearing in and then i realized that it was not going to fit.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

galaxyc3

thanks for the help. im gonna order some break blocks and see how that helps the reel.

i must say i took apart the 6000 and gave it a good cleaning and re-lubing and it seems a lot smother. i just need some decent line on it (i got some crappy cheap 30lb test on it). thinking about some power pro braid.

on a side note my new c3 5500 came in, and i love it. its my first new ambassadeur

Bruce

Hello   

I have several ABU reels Morrums,Records, C3, but one of my favorites for 3/8 and up oz. weight is an 4600cb bushing reel. I was going to put ball bearings in it , but I like it the way it is. Was also going to convert some 5000 ,but use for Kok trolling so if it aint broke just up grade to carbon firber drags and use some good oil.
      Keep that level wind clean.
    Of   the many Penn reels I have two of my favorite casters are a 60 and a 500s both bushing reels.

Like Groucho always said "ya wana tip, save yer money ".

Buzz
Buzz

galaxyc3

i wanna say thanks to everyone. i put the break blocks on and decided to stick with the bushings. i took it fishing with my papaw, we didnt have any luck (besides one big ole turtle lol) but other than that it was a good time.