Daiwa 103PiA issues

Started by arro625, July 08, 2012, 04:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arro625

Looking for some possible solutions with a Daiwa 103PiA. Problem is the spool binds and won't free spool at all. When spool assembly is removed the handle cranks smoothly, the spool spins freely in the side plate, when side plate is closed up it binds. The reel has some wear and tear on it but appears to be in good shape otherwise...any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Bryan Young

Assuming that the sideplate tensioners are backed off, could it be the that the frame is misaligned?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

arro625

Not sure what you mean by 'side plate' tensioners... side plate sits flush on frame, turn clockwise to lock into place and tighten down the screw...I've tried to do a little research but still can't seem to pinpoint the problem. The side plate doesn't appear to be misaligned and seems to fit snugly against the frame

Bryan Young

It's that silver knob that adjust the tension on the spool. I thin it's chrome on that reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

arro625

the tensioner appears to be working properly, it doesn't seem to make a difference what position it's in, as soon as you tighten down the screw the spool binds..hope this info helps

redsetta

G'day arro,
I assume this has a disengaging level wind, so we can discount that.
Have you tried spinning the spool in the frame/left side plate (ie with the right side plate removed)?
This'll show whether something in the cast control assembly is binding...
Also, when you say it spins freely in the right side plate, is this both in gear and out?
Is there any chance the clutch isn't fully engaging?
Cheers, Justin
PS Schematic here, if you don't already have it: http://daiwafishing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/TEAM-DAIWA-X103-105HIA-AND-PIA.pdf
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

arro625

The spool spins fine whether it's engaged or not, the problem is as soon as you click the 'tension' side plate in, the spool pushes hard against the other side, thus causing the spool to bind. The actual tension mechanism appears to be working properly (smooth function). I was hoping somebody here had the same problem.

arro625

I spoke w/ Daiwa tech this morning and not to my surprise, he wasn't very helpful and was just trying to get me off the phone...we tried a few things but nothing helped, his best guess was the frame or the side plate were warped. The guy who gave me the reel has another one with the exact same problem. The owner fears sending them in to Daiwa as they are notorious for expensive repairs and then asking customer to pay to get reel back without first confirming issues. ..has anyone encountered this problem w/ that or any other TDX reel?