Urban Angling...rounds Two, Three and Four!

Started by Steve-O, July 08, 2012, 06:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

I guess I'm making up for not having wet a line the first 5 1/2 months of 2012 and felt the need for a few more "fishing fixes" during the Holiday and slow week at work.

Round Two.

So on Independence Day I celebrated with a few finned friends. 6 Cats, 4 carp and later a burger on the grill.

Big Kitty of the day.

Big Carp of the day.

This one is a nice Linear Mirror. Named such for the main inline row of scales. Sometimes they feature two sets each side.

Round Three.

Saturday, I hit the same pond with the tally coming to 11 cats, and 6 carp. No big boys this time but I did pickup a junior mirror and a muddler ( a mix between a common and a mirror).

The Junior Mirror.

My tackle was two rods and reels. Rod one - Okuma Citrix baitcaster mounted on a Cabela's Mag Touch. It's  a fun, sensitive rig with plenty of backbone. I used it in AK last fall for Coho and will do so again in mid - Sept this fall. Second rig -  Abu-Garcia Cardinal ultralight spinning reel on a Berkley Cherry rod. A fun ultralight. Owner or Gamakatsu hooks free-lining sourdough bread balls.

Round Four.

After a short break at the house to freshen up  and have a quick snooze, I was off again for the evening session.
This time at a different pond south of me. Only two fish came to the yak this evening. But what was lacking in quantity was made up for in quality. I got a short Nantucket Sleighride out of the first one and felt pretty good about this fish.

Until.....this bruiser nabbed my offering and took me for a 20 minute tour of the pond!! I even had time to stand and give my back a break while the bulldog towed me another 75 yards. Total distance towed was around 150 yards over the 20 minute tussle. The net job alone took an extra 5 minutes as both of us were getting a bit done with the efforts.  Once I got the net on him, I knew it was a personal best grassie. Tipped the scales at an even 20 pounds!! Yeah baby! The shore anglers, pic-nickers, and kids swimming all came over for a look see when I paddled to shore to have someone do the pics.

Check out how big around his head is next to mine.

All the way home it was...."Woo-Hooo!" What a nice ending to a double header fishing day!

Steve-O

redsetta

QuoteAll the way home it was...."Woo-Hooo!" What a nice ending to a double header fishing day!
Indeed! Well done Steve-O - another cracker day on the water.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

seaeagle2

"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Steve-O

Quote from: seaeagle2 on July 09, 2012, 04:32:32 AM
nice fish

Now if I were only in your neck of the woods, in a dry suit, on my kayak, and this 20# carp were a king salmon, then I'd be sliding it into the deck hatch and having an even bigger smile!

I'll be passing through Seattle in a couple of months on the way to Ketchikan, then over to Craig for the fall silver run. And we reserved a day on the salt,weather permitting.  So i may get a king. Meantime, it's high 90's sunny skies and big minnows pulling my yak around.

Dominick

Steve-o:  Thanks for that.  Good to have you back.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

seaeagle2

Quote from: Steve-O on July 09, 2012, 06:02:42 AM
Quote from: seaeagle2 on July 09, 2012, 04:32:32 AM
nice fish

Now if I were only in your neck of the woods, in a dry suit, on my kayak, and this 20# carp were a king salmon, then I'd be sliding it into the deck hatch and having an even bigger smile!

Funny you say that, we were recently on Kauai and did a kayak trip up the Wailua River to Secret Falls.  My wife thought it was a lot of fun so we briefly thought how fun it would be to have one back home, then we thought about how cold our water is and forgot about it.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson