Penn 16/0

Started by Irish Jigger, July 08, 2012, 01:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

Just noticed this reel on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENN-SENATOR-16-0-NEW-UNUSED-/200789272728?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item2ebff92898#ht_500wt_1203

This reel lay for a few years in the UK missing a Stand. The owner tried everywhere without success to find one. I asked our latest Moderators Sal and Justin for their help and both responded immediately by giving me a number of contacts to try.  Justin PM'd me later that day to say he had obtained a brand new part for me and the search was over. Thank's guys.
I am kicking myself for not having offered the owner a bad  "spares or repair" price for the reel. :'(

Prefer my 501 anyway. ;)

George4741

Quote from: Irish Jigger on July 08, 2012, 01:08:05 PM
Just noticed this reel on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENN-SENATOR-16-0-NEW-UNUSED-/200789272728?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item2ebff92898#ht_500wt_1203

This reel lay for a few years in the UK missing a Stand. The owner tried everywhere without success to find one. I asked our latest Moderators Sal and Justin for their help and both responded immediately by giving me a number of contacts to try.  Justin PM'd me later that day to say he had obtained a brand new part for me and the search was over. Thank's guys.
I am kicking myself for not having offered the owner a bad  "spares or repair" price for the reel. :'(

Prefer my 501 anyway. ;)
If I have my exchange rate right, that is approximately $1000. :o  What could you have bought it for, as a parts reel?  Anyway, quit beating yourself up. ;)  There'll be others. ;D

501's are cool, but 16/0 Senators have BIG TIME bragging rights.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Irish Jigger

Hi George, I was jesting,it would only have gathered dust here and I would have been searching for an original handle and box anyway.

George4741

I think few people use their BIG Senators and most just gather dust.
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on July 08, 2012, 03:17:57 PM
I think few people use their BIG Senators and most just gather dust.
George, I hear that a lot of shark fishermen in the Southern part of the east coast  use the larger Senator exclusively.
When I'm done dealing with college tuition, I might go down there and put my WEX to the test....if I still have some money left by then :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Considering the thousands of, say 9/0 thru 16/0 Senators out there, I imagine that very few of them are fished anymore.  But it is good to hear about those who do use them.  Sometimes I'll watch a clip of someone fighting a big shark on youtube with their Senator.  Jeremy Wade used a borrowed one on a recent River Monsters show.  It reminds me of the good old days when sportsmen, such as Hemmingway, caught monsters with them.  None of this gold, 2-speed, spectra stuff.  (Oh no! :o  I don't want to offend those guys. ;D)  And I enjoy reading about the other forum members discuss and show theirs off.  Good stuff!  Keep it up, guys.

I know that I'll never use my 9/0, and maybe not even my 114H.  Unless I try catching one of those huge catfish rumored to be at the bottom of the lake near Hoover Dam.  But it is fun to collect and handle the big Senators.  I'm seriously looking at buying a 10/0 and 14/0 now, to gather dust, of course.
 George  

I hope I didn't dig myself into a hole, here. ;)
 George      
viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

Good to see it's back in working order Tom.
Pity he's not keeping it, but that price tag explains his decision. ;)
Cheers, Justin
PS Right there with ya George ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

pbmang

Here on the east coast of the US, and even in Texas, those big senators are in pretty high demand within the land based shark fishing community.  I am just getting into it, but you need those bigger reels simply for the huge line capacity.  In general, braid doesn't do well in the surf, and many times you will kayak a shark bait out 300+ yards, so even if you are using braid as a backing, you will still need a significant amount of mono on top of it.  For the true monsters, line capacities of 700 - 1,000 yards are a huge plus, and sometimes that's not even enough! 

Not to mention, you feel pretty manly when people walk by on the beach, and comment on the size of your reels   ;D

George4741

I figured the bigger Senators (12/0 thru 16/0) were no longer in demand and that's why Penn discontinued them years ago.  Apparently many of them are still used and that accounts for Penn reintroducing the 14/0.  I wonder if their use is on the rise, or it never waned?

Another thing, with those big sharks near shore, I will stay out of the water. :o ;D  
viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

In Hawaii, the 12/0 was a very popular size, as was the 14/0.  The 16/0 was much too clumsy and heavy for the added line capacity.  Most guys use the 130 size two speeds now for big game.  The 14/0 size are seen from time to time, but that 16/0 is quite rare (in use).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Its not just about line capacity, you need low gears to bring in those monsters. Low gear and large spool diameter is the perfect combination.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kamuwela

there are tons of 12/0 and 14/0's here in hawaii. take a look on hawaii craigslist you will see them all the time. id say atleast half of the trailer boats have older penn's.

Harry

Hardley anything goes wrong with those big senators (built to last) and easy to maintain imo, sal is on the money ,big spools low gears and line capacity is key for  sharking.

For me 12/0 is the perfect size  reel with good balance,  the 9/0 is my second fav and dont even need a harness.. hmmm   coming to think of it i rearly use a harness on my 12/0s either, but more stamina is used and can come handy  during a long fight.

Alto Mare

Harry, we almost have the same taste, I like the 116A best. At one time I had over a dozen 116A's, now I only have a couple.