ProGear?

Started by Gman_WC, July 09, 2012, 06:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

I have a line on three used reels that appear (without cracking them open) to be in good shape.
Can I get some input or thoughts on the quality and price of them please.
What I've read on old posts here is that they are a high grade Jigmasters.

Pro Gear 255 $100
Pro Gear 251 $100
Pro Gear Pacifica 2000 $100

Thanks -gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Hi Gary,

You will not like the Pro Gear 255.  I'll take it off your hand for $100.   ;)

They are solid jigmasters.  The PG 255 is a normal version with PG 251 is a wide version.  They come with 5:1 gear ratios, but you can use any compatable jigmaster parts.  I'm not sure about the Pacifica as I have yet to see one in house, but I do have the 255 and 251 and love them. 

Most  PG255 goes for anywhere from $100 to $250.  Most PG251 goes for $75 to $150.  The came with and without clickers.  The can be used with braid with no problems because of the tight tolerances.  I have 5+1 drags in my 255 and I can easily get 18# of drags. I don't think you can go wrong with these reels.  If the PG255 is too small for you, let me know.  I'll take that off your hand.

Bryan

Quote from: Gman_WC on July 09, 2012, 06:23:15 PM
I have a line on three used reels that appear (without cracking them open) to be in good shape.
Can I get some input or thoughts on the quality and price of them please.
What I've read on old posts here is that they are a high grade Jigmasters.

Pro Gear 255 $100
Pro Gear 251 $100

Thanks -gary

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Bryan has waaay too many PG 255's,   I will take it!!!    The PG 255 is also one of my favorite reels.  If you can get it for $100. don't pass it up.  I also have one with a 5 stack and was getting 22# of drag.  When I am really in the mood to play I will fish a 40# mono topshot over my 50# spectra.   Great little reel.
John

Gman_WC

Thanks for the updates guys. I may just bag them all at that price and see how they play!  ;D
If they are the same as jigmasters, how do you get that much drag out of them tiny drags?
I like the narrow frames so Bryan I'll keep you in mind.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Look who's talking John... ;D

I only have 2, and one is my son's.

Gary, there's what you need to do to achieve upper drag ranges

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1518.0

Have fun.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Gman,

I think you will be very happy with the PG 255 and a 3 stack drag.  I have several PG 255's and just wanted to play with one of them.  I normally would never fish this reel with the drag over 12 to 14#'s.  But, one time I had a nice yellowtail on and a seal took my fish and I had the drags locked up for about 2 minutes.  Later at home I took the reel apart and everything was fine. I really don't care for the 5 stack that much as the drag comes on way to fast for me.  The other issue is how much drag pressure can these gears really handle???

John

Bryan Young

I'll repost my set up.  I got it to ramp a lot smoother now.

Gman_WC

But if all of the parts are interchangable or it share some of the parts..... are the drags larger
than a penn jigmaster or the same size to get that drag?
I own 500, 501, 505, 506 that I don't think I get that range with a SS gear sleeve and carbontex drags added with an extra.

-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Gary, you can achieve these drag numbers with 2 extra drag washers.  it's not obtainable with a 3+1 drag stack. You will need to up it to a 5+1 drag stack.

Gman_WC

Well I went ahead and paid for two:
Pro Gear 255 $100
Pro Gear 251 $100

And passed on the:
that looks to be a jigmaster wide with flexable sides?
I looked it up and it was described as (reels have molded graphite composite sideplates for corrosion resistance)

Thanks Bryan. I had seen the link you referenced.
I'm confused about all the talk of the main gear in the thread.
Your using the stock PG main gear correct?
Your upgrade was a SS gear sleeve and the special Dawn's 5+1 drags plus the slim metal washer
package correct?
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Sorry Gary, will be a couple of weeks before I can take and post pics.  My day job has got me running and flying.

Gman_WC

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2012, 07:22:00 AM
Sorry Gary, will be a couple of weeks before I can take and post pics.  My day job has got me running and flying.

Well Bryan the twins showed up in the mail on Saturday!
They look nice and appear to be heavy duty. They seem to weight in a tad heavier than a jigmaster.
Can't wait to crack it open, but the PG's will need to wait in line on the flea orphan Mag10 that came in last week before them :P
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Hey Gary, I think you are in the SF Bay area, we should get together when you are going to work on those PGs.  I'll bring my toys out for references.

Gman_WC

Bryan I live in the Walnut Creek in the east bay.
It would be cool to meet you and go through the PG's.
I had hopes of meeting up with you and Alan at reel repair seminar, but I
think Mr. T has retired from that.  ;)

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

Yup, we are not planning to do another seminar for a while.  It's a lot of work and preparation, and many times, lack of parts.  He may be talked into a seminar at his house where some parts are available.  I think if everyone gets together, brings beer and scotch, pop-up tents, tables,... it could happen.  Of course, this is my own opinion.