Ulua Casting Practice Session

Started by reefmonsta, July 12, 2012, 06:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reefmonsta

Not quite fishing tips, but maybe it could fall under fishing technique  :D

Earlier this year several of us ulua fisherman got together to practice our casting technique.  I took a lot of video but just recently got a chance to cut some of it up and throw it on my youtube.  Anyhow, here's some video of our outing if anyone is interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ek3XBxj1M&feature=plcp
reefmonsta

kamuwela

CapeFish

Awesome casting reefmonsta :) we do the same here when the fishing conditions are up the creek. Do any of you fish with the reel at the bottom? How do you fight a big fish with the reel in the up position? do you clamp it under your arm?

We fit Fuji trigger reel seets at the bottom, I wonder if casting is better with the reel up, I have never tried it but it seems akward to handle a fish as you can't use a rod bucket

alantani

the video must have taken forever to edit.  thanks for posting it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seaeagle2

I'm impressed, the first thing I noticed was when they were going for distance they really put a lot of muscle behind the casts, but the 50 yard cast they more or  less just flicked their wrists, how far would a maximum distance cast be ? 
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

ShoreKasterHI

Quote from: CapeFish on July 13, 2012, 08:10:22 AM
Awesome casting reefmonsta :) we do the same here when the fishing conditions are up the creek. Do any of you fish with the reel at the bottom? How do you fight a big fish with the reel in the up position? do you clamp it under your arm?

We fit Fuji trigger reel seets at the bottom, I wonder if casting is better with the reel up, I have never tried it but it seems akward to handle a fish as you can't use a rod bucket

Here is a great example of fighting a fish with the reel in a higher position... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsuS8WS9m0A&feature=channel&list=UL
or you can put the butt of the pole in the sand/rocks... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFqGH1Bn_s8&feature=related

reefmonsta

Quote from: kamuwela on July 12, 2012, 06:56:36 AM
hey i know that place lol

Yah, not too big of a secret!   ;)

Quote from: CapeFish on July 13, 2012, 08:10:22 AM

Thanks CapeFish but I was probably the worst caster in the whole video  :-[  Guys normally fight fish with the rod in between the legs, not under the arm.  When fighting something big you can place the pole back into the holder and still continue the battle with out having to hunch down to crank the reel.  I have actually seen a few guys with the trigger reel seats too.  I think there are benefits on both sides of the fence.  I think you can gain more casting distance with the reel seat lower but I think its easier to fight the fish with the reel seat higher. 

Quote from: alantani on July 14, 2012, 03:34:15 AM
the video must have taken forever to edit.  thanks for posting it!

Thanks Alan! I've been editing stuff since the mid 90's prior to using software based tools so I can crank things out pretty quickly.   But the big problem is just trying to set aside a block of time to get it done.  Next time I come out we got to shoot some how to vids   :)

Quote from: seaeagle2 on July 14, 2012, 04:13:40 PM
I'm impressed, the first thing I noticed was when they were going for distance they really put a lot of muscle behind the casts, but the 50 yard cast they more or  less just flicked their wrists, how far would a maximum distance cast be ? 

If I remember correctly, there were a few that went out past the 200 yard marker.  A few of us actually put a dollar each into the "bucket challenge"  and whoever hit the bucket or got closest got to keep all the money  ;D  Being able to precisely place your lead where you want is a tough skill to master! 
reefmonsta

CapeFish

Thanks Reefmonsta and Shorecaster, great clip of the GT from the beach. I see what you do with the rod between your legs, but I have another question, how do you prevent the rod from compressing your gonads (Sorry Alan I am not sure what other word to use here that won't offend your daughter).  :o :o Especially if you have a fish on for 1 1/2 hrs etc. We use a rod bucket its a pretty comfy kidney belt with a rod holder similar to what guys use from boats but without harness lugs. This allows you to use the reel at the bottom and reel in very easily its also easy to move around rocky points etc if a fish runs you far and mightcut you off or to help gain line if you need to follow it down the beach.

Makule

Quotehow do you prevent the rod from compressing your gonads
By having the rod placed to the side of them.

The fight normally doesn't last all that long (maybe 10 minutes).  For the larger fish, the rod butt end is placed on the ground, against the foot instep, to reduce the strain against the arms.  There are also other techniques of handling long rods, not limited to replacing the rod back into the rod holder.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

CapeFish

Hi Makule thanks for the reply I have tried to upload some pics but it is not working, but here is a clip of some pro's using the reel down, this is how we all fish here,

I will try and load pictures later. Our rods are 13-14ft long, casting weight for heavy tackle is usually 7-10oz and big baits depending on conditions

Caranx

The video of the fisherman with the orange cap bringing in the 20+lb. GT shows the classic example on how we fight our game here in the islands.
Of course it's easier to fish from a sandy beach than off steep rocky cliffs.
Good on him to release it.
If it was me, it would have been sashimi on my table!

Makule

QuoteIf it was me, it would have been sashimi on my table!

x2
I only fish to eat.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Nice video, im kinda disapointed there was no spectacular blow up section
Grayson Lanier