Question(how to increase drag on the Calcutta 200)

Started by Killerbug, July 12, 2012, 06:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

I have had a Calcutta 200 for service, and the max drag it delivers is simply not good enough for the type of fishing
we use it for.  I have changed the washers to Carbontex, and it gave a little extra, but I need more.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Nessie Hunter

Trade or sell for a Revo Inshore or Toro 50...

20+ lb of drag and it will cast better!!   LOL

Sort of kidding....   ;D

The extra Bellville will add some #..   
I would rather go to simple spacer to add to drag stack thickness.
The added Bellvilles will make it very hard to crank down the Star to Max..
Heavier (faster ramp) Spring tension on star.
Possibly damage threads on Star or Main Shaft????
Spacers wont do that, same spring tension, just thicker stack..

Thats just the way I would do it?????????????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

captbob

Quote from: Killerbug on July 12, 2012, 06:40:20 AM
I have had a Calcutta 200 for service, and the max drag it delivers is simply not good enough for the type of fishing
we use it for.  I have changed the washers to Carbontex, and it gave a little extra, but I need more.

I have the same question, my Lews Tournament Pro is better with almost 15#, if I could get that and keep the smoothness of the curent 200GTB drag, I would be happy. I am interested in any other information out there, as I am about to upgrade bearings, drag and am open to other ideas. I love the round reels and want to try and get it close to the smoothnes of the Lews. 
Fish Hard or Go Home!

kamuwela

alantani

the old sliver reel, right?  you have only two drag washers.  there is not much you can do with that....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Killerbug

Quote from: alantani on July 14, 2012, 03:02:21 AM
the old sliver reel, right?  you have only two drag washers.  there is not much you can do with that....   :-\

No, the latest gold one.  But still two drag washers.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Keta

How thick are the washers?  Both metal and fiber.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

There's not much you can do except really cranking down on the star for a little bit more drag.  Those reel have no clearance in the side plate, and the gear set is pretty shallow to add any more drag.

Now, just thinking, you probably can change out the washer under the gear.  It has a very small surface area because of that clicker thing that sits under it.  If you replace that with a full size washer, you may get a little bit more out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D