Duxbury Reef Limits

Started by Gman_WC, July 13, 2012, 03:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

Went out Wednesday with a few friends on a party we've used for years.
Salty Lady out of Emeryville and ended up trolling at Duxbury for limits.
We found the krill, the fleet, and the fish. Everyone of the fish was stuffed to the gills with krill.
Ran into pockets of just legal sized fish to a good grade of 20# plus at the end of the day.
Touch a knife to the gut and it burst open like a fresh Haggis!

My first Salmon since the closure was worth the wait. A 30# toad with shoulders.
Iced overnight and ready for a breakfast cylinder and the fillet table.

A little lump in the AM but got better as the day wore on. Can't wait for he fall to get some mooching in.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Dominick

Hey Gary nice job.  I was scheduled to go out on 7/16 but the weather report is windy with 8-10 feet waves.  It's not going to happen.  We were going to Duxbury.  Did you fish around or near the Duxbury buoy?  It used to be pretty good going around the buoy but I have not been there in a couple of years.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Nice fish Gary, thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i think this is the best tasting salmon in the world!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gman_WC

Quote from: alantani on July 14, 2012, 03:37:22 AM
i think this is the best tasting salmon in the world!

Your right Alan, it is fantastic thing to behold for sure.
The salmon feeding on the krill are mean when hooked!
I've just taken my bucket out of the fridge.
Fillets have been soaking in Yoshids's, brown sugar, assorted spices, and pineapple juice for a
few days now and ready for the smoker in a few hours ;D
I'll be sure and post recipe and pic's later today. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Gman_WC

Quote from: Pescachaser on July 13, 2012, 09:49:02 PM
Hey Gary nice job.  I was scheduled to go out on 7/16 but the weather report is windy with 8-10 feet waves.  It's not going to happen.  We were going to Duxbury.  Did you fish around or near the Duxbury buoy?  It used to be pretty good going around the buoy but I have not been there in a couple of years.  Dominick

Dom, We were west of Dux a few miles. You will see the boats if it's a nice day. For a Wednesday it was packed but limits
and early limits were the name of the game.
I talked to the deckhand yesterday and he said Thursday was a better grade of fish. Average was 20# and limits with not many
shakers like we encountered the day before.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Dominick

Thanks for that Gary.  Here is the weather report for Monday.  "N TO NW WINDS BECOMING 10 TO 15 KT THROUGHOUT. SEAS BECOMING 6 TO 9 FT THROUGHOUT."  That is puke inducing wind, wave and weather.  It looks like the high winds and waves will be waning during next week.  We rescheduled for next Friday.  BTW look up Duxbury Reef on Google Earth and you could tell where you were fishing.  Check out the underwater structure.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gman_WC

8 cups Pineapple Juice
3 cups Yoshidas Gourmet Sause
2 cups Brown sugar
1 tsp Powdered Ginger
1 tsp Powdered Garlic
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 Bay Leafs
2 day soak
Drain on the paper towels up to room temp - 3hrs

Into the new smoker it goes

The end result was a "C". I had high hopes for my new electric smoker getting away for the old bullet
charcoal smoker.
I need to run this thing a few times to get the hang of it.
A little over done at 5 hrs at what the stock thermometer said was 150-180.
I'll need to use a trusted tested one on the inside rack next time and use Pam on the
racks. Or so I'm told.
Cooled out and in the fridge overnight. A quick trip into the freezer for an hour to harden and vacuumed packed
for a return trip to the freezer.
-g

Walnut Creek, CA

redsetta

Yum - thanks for the recipe G.
Will try it on some rainbows this winter.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

You're killing me "g".  That salmon is to die for.
viurem lliures o morirem

Gman_WC

Quote from: George4741 on July 16, 2012, 05:34:09 PM
You're killing me "g".  That salmon is to die for.

George, If your in the bay area come on over and get some! -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Dominick

Hey Gary:  Don't waste your money on Pam.  Just dip a paper towel in cooking oil and rub on the rack.  If the rack is hot grip the paper towels with a pair of thongs and rub it on.  I saved your recipe and will use it if I ever get a Salmon this season.  It looks like this Friday is out also (weather).  Dominick

Bryan Young

What kind of smoke chips did you use?  Did you even taste it before freezing it?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gman_WC

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 17, 2012, 06:59:07 PM
What kind of smoke chips did you use?  Did you even taste it before freezing it?

Bryan I used apple chips. The booklet that came with the smoker said to only smoke it for
2hrs at 225. That temp seemed to high. I went twice that between 150 -180
according to the what the door thermometer said.
I'm not going to trust it in the future and add a good one on the inside.
Yes I did taste it and it turned out good, just a tad bit dry for my taste.
I forgot to grease the racks and the skin stuck to it.
Next time I'll use an old friends trick of adding a can of cream of coconut
to the brine mix. It's a wonderful taste on salmon (you island boys know this!  ;D)
but I need to get my heat issue taken care of first before adding any more sugar to the mix.
I forgot to mention that after it came out of the smoker I basted it with the sweet chili
lumpia sauce. You can hurt yourself eating smoked salmon that's not overy salted.-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

If its too dry, we use it for Ochazuke.  Basically, it's placed over rice and pour hot green tea over it.  It's used as a filler at the end of the meal after you eat all of the good stuff.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D