GRAPHITE BONDING AGENT/GLUE?

Started by LTM, July 14, 2012, 12:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ

I have had great results with Mr. Sticky.  Not a bad joke an actual company.
http://mrstickys.com/

whalebreath

I had no idea JB Weld worked for that kind of thing-Thanks!

dogdad1

Maybe drill a teeny-tiny hole in both pieces and put in a small piece of SS (or similar) first to help take up any load/stress and then do the JB Weld thing?  It would be kinda like making a post & crown for a tooth.
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

LTM

Thanx DD,

I will definitely take that into consideration.  Excellent tip, know this will definitely take me into "professional over-run/backlash" mode.

Thanx guys,

Leo

Alto Mare

Good tip DD. I've done something similar to some of my reels. If only I would have been able to do it to my teeth, I could have saved $20,000 :(.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dogdad1

That's how I got the idea!   ;D    We just need enough liquid-painkiller to get thru the operation (or is that stuff supposed to be only for the patient?  I always forget).  Oh well, just sit still and open wide for a minute...
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

LTM

Finally got around to finishing the repair.  I thought I would post the results for those who may be unfamiliar with the results.  Here goes:

This picture is of the initial bonding; just enough JB weld to affix the broken piece.

Another view of the initial bonding.

Close-up of additional layer of JB Weld to reinforce the bond.

Another view.

Last photo

I thought I might have to do some clean-up with the Dremel tool, however after a mock install of the parts I was happy to see that they all fit perfectly.  I used a flat toothpick to mix and apply the JB Weld.  JB Weld comes in tow styles quick setting and regular.  I chose the quick set for this application so the small piece would set-up quickly.  Now just need to remember how it goes back together.  ::)

Hope this helps some of you guys and maybe salvage a reel from the trash,

Leo

Dominick

Good job Leo.  That JB Weld is good stuff.  I used some to repair the big plastic coupling that holds the gas lines for my barbeque to the propane tank.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Irish Jigger

Good repair Leo, looks quite sturdy.

LTM

For those not familiar with JB Weld, here's some info from the web site regarding its properties and some uses (this is for the "regular" not the "quick" formula that I used which is very similar):

Use J-B WELD as an adhesive, laminate, plug, filler, sealant, and electrical insulator. Squeeze out equal portions from the black and red tubes. Mix thoroughly. Clean surface to be bonded. Apply J-B WELD, and let it cure. That's all there is to it!
Like metal, J-B WELD can be formed, drilled, ground, tapped, machined, filled, sanded, and painted. It stays pliable for about 30 minutes after mixing, sets in 4-6 hours, and cures fully in 15-24 hours. It's water-proof; petroleum-, chemical-, and acid-resistent; resists shock, vibration, and extreme temperature fluctuations, and withstands temperatures up to 500° F. J-B WELD is super strong, non-toxic, and safe to use. Before it sets, you can clean up with soap and water.
Virtually any combination of iron, steel, copper, aluminum, brass, bronze, pewter, porcelain, ceramic, marble, glass, PVC & ABS, concrete, fiberglass, wood, fabric, paper -- just about any porous and non-porous material.

The stuff costs approx $3 per package and can be purchased at most auto parts stores and even Wal-Mart.  I always keep a couple or three packages on hand. 

Leo