GRAPHITE BONDING AGENT/GLUE?

Started by LTM, July 14, 2012, 12:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hey Guys,

Wondering what type of bonding agent to use to glue/bond a small internal piece of graphite that broke off in my spinner main body housing.  I've thouroughly cleaned/degreased the housing.  Ive tried CA/super glue with poor results; so I was thinking of wire-brushing a new rough surface (and remove the old super glue) then using "JB Weld" aka "my magic glue".  Any suggestions for a bonding agent for graphite?

Thanx again guys,

Leo

alantani

check on the cost of a new frame ......    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Hello Leo, I noticed that you are good at taking pictures, could you show a shot of the damaged piece? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much was that reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

One way or another Im fixing this reel.  I purchased it a couple of decades ago and is only used by guests. The tip of the awl is pointing to the damaged area, the other photo shows the broken piece and the two other parts that are associated with the repair.  The long shaft actiuates the spinners anti reverse  and the copper spring adds pressure to the shaft.  The spinner is a Daiwa PR1605H.  BTW Sal, Im just lucky taking pictures w/this camera (you wouldnt believe how primative it is, it was a salvage gift) but I seem to get it to work for me.

Sal, here are the photos:

A closer view of the body:

The three associated parts:

Alto Mare

Don't get rid of that camera Leo, it takes some nice pictures. About the reel, I thought it was going to be a small piece. I've repaired reels in the past by drilling a small hole and gluing a piece of copper wire it the shape that I needed it to be and it always worked out. Your damaged piece is a little trickier, but, it des have lots of area to make contact with the  glued, you just need to find the right glue. After seing what you have done with those plier, I have no doubt that you can fix it. Good luck! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thinket

a gob of jb weld should do the trick. clean off the old glue and rough up the areas to be glued a little with sand paper.  good luck

Normslanding

Some years ago I bought some High density PVC sheet goods. I intended to make a tackle box out of the material. Trying to glue the stuff proved to be a disaster. A few years went by, and I was working on my boat. In doing research for the boat I came across G/flex by West systems. Anyway I tried it on the HDPVC, it worked. Finally built a great tackle box. The G/flex works on most things that Epoxy's work on, and plastics. I have now used it to repair several things I thought were not repairable. Carbon fiber will bond to G/flex. I can't say G/flex will bond to your composite frame material, but it's worth a try. GOOD LUCK.

Dominick

Leo:  The piece that you are going to repair does not look like it will be stressed.  If anything the shaft that will sit in the indentation will not put any side pressure on the part.  I vote for JB Weld.  It looks like there is room on the sides.  I would build it up on the sides to give it more stability.  Go for it.  You have nothing to lose.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bruce

Hello

I concour with Dominick.
          JB Weld  one of my favorite products , use it for many fixes.
           If you ever get a chance go to thier facility in SoCal,Very interesting.
            It looks like you may be able to brace that piece from about the awl point to the outside of frame on right.
           Can`t tell what caused the failure , it looks like just a pillow U groove for shaft that goes to the right outside frame. Are   forces acting upon that piece from L tO R or vice versa ? I would not think there would be,but can`t tell.
          Anyway Alto Mare is right. wadygottoloose
           Let us know how it works out.
     Buzz
Buzz

seaeagle2

here's another vote for JB Weld.  I used it on a Newell frame for a  113h with some stripped screwholes and it stuck so I could screw into it.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Makule

Are you sure it's graphite?  Hard to see clearly, but looks more like an aluminum alloy.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

LTM

Thanx Guys,

JB Weld was my first thought and I will go with it.  As stated I will rough-up/clean the area then build-up the right side for security.  I'll then Dremel to shape.  Its not a load-bearing/pressure point as stated.  I was the cause of the break in taking the reel apart (too much force).  Sal, Im not getting rid of the camera (had to fix it and bring it back from the dead when it was given to me).  Didnt know JB factory in SoCal may check it out.

Well this is my second spinner that Ive worked on and I think it will work out with the minor repair.  Thanx to you guys, Im not scared to service them (Ive learned more from this lesson).  All 20 plus of my conventional reels are serviced (just need upgrades: handles, drags, etc), and about 4 more spinners to go.

Thanx to all,

Leo

alantani

honestly, i would send this photo to penn and see if you can get a new frame......   :-\

floating doc

Quote from: alantani on July 14, 2012, 11:52:59 PM
honestly, i would send this photo to penn and see if you can get a new frame......   :-\

Cool! Penn stocks parts for Daiwa reels? ;)
Central Florida

alantani

sorry, having a senior moment.....   :-\