alantani

Quote from: mercman
Quote from: alantani
Quote from: mercmanHello Alan!
I haven't been on the boards in a year or two, but I remember reading through all of the posts you used to make about reels, and I was wondering if I could ask you a quick question. Last night I tried to do some maintenance on one of my reels (an Ambassadeur 6600), and I got mKyself into a huge mess! Basically, I unscrewed one too many things and ended up with a pile of nuts and bolts. After a sleepless night trying to fix it, and several more hours today, I have come to the conclusion that I need some help from somebody who knows as much about fishing reels as you do. I don't know if you would be willing to do this, but I was wondering if there is a possibility that you could help me put my reel back together. There are no broken or missing parts, and everything is in good condition, I just can't quite figure out how to put it all back together. I am willing to pay you to help me, I just know that I can't do it by myself. Do you think there is a possibility that we could work something out? Thank you so much! Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Quincy

this should help!  http://alantani.com/index.php?board=5.0[/QUOTE

Thank you so much for the link! I have everything assembled now except for the spool. Or whatever reason, I can't seem to get it to engage! I checked to make sure it was on the right way, and all of the gears match up, but when I reel the handle is the only thing that spins, not the spool. Do you know why that is? It has baffled me all day! Thanks again!

sometime the plastic brakes stick out and you can't get the side plate on.   i usually pull them off.  they don't do anything, anyway!

It worked! Thanks a lot Alan! You're the man! Fish on, Quincy.

can i copy and post this to my website?

Of course! I have no problem with that at all! I dot know if my last message went through or not, but I finally have the reel assembled and all of the parts function, but I am having problems with my drag being too weak. I am going to tinker with it throughout the week to see if maybe I can fix it, and if nothing works I'll get back in touch with you if that's okay? Do you think maybe I could give you a call? Thanks!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Hi. Your drag pack will be either carbontex, or old-school nylon-graphite composite. Easy to tell one from the other.  9/10, the nylon ones will be smooth and shiney instead of rough and dull. And 9/10, they will have tramp oil or grease on them.  Before adds, they are about 90 cents a washer x 3. (9/10 = 9 times out of 10.)
You can clean them up, and re-scuff with 600 wet and dry sandpaper.   

Carbontex washers are woven in appearance, and can be cleaned up, then brushed with a wire brush (lightly) to rejuvenate. They are about 2.50 a washer x 3 before adds.   

Remember to add a small dab of grease at the junction point of the driveshaft and the main gear. If not, the first big fish run will friction-weld the gear to the driveshaft. No fun.  Good fishing and fixing, KD.

GulfOfBothnia

Alan,

is this your text:
"sometime the plastic brakes stick out and you can't get the side plate on.   i usually pull them off.  they don't do anything, anyway!"

Did I understand right... you completely remove the centrifugal brake blocks?

And "they don't do anything" ?

I'm confused  ???

Please clarify.

alantani

there are only two brakes there.  never did like them.  all they do is get in the way......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GulfOfBothnia

Maybe Alan is not using abus for casting. Or he has superb casting skills.
Or both.
Whatever this site is great, Alan !!