Using old Dacron?

Started by dogdad1, July 15, 2012, 12:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

I haven't seen mention anywhere for Dacron line.  I believe that's what it is, it's tan in color and has somewhat of a woven 'cloth' feel to it.  Kinda feels like kite-string but thicker and obviously stronger.  Is it because Dacron has just gone out of style compared to the the newer more-advanced materials and no one uses it anymore?

After reworking most of my GrandDad's old reels, I have a LOT (amazing how much line a 118 will hold) of it spooled off.  Some has obviously never been used (nor has some of the reels), while some has discolored from age, etc.  Do you think any of it is still usable?

Any way to tell the strength/weight, other than tie the dog to one end and tell him to "...Go Get The Squirrel..."?

Thanks
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

akfish

Dacron is still used  bit. I use it to a s backing, and it works OK for bottom fishing although it is thicker and has a little more stretch than spectra. However, unlike spectra, it does rot over time. I'd be very careful using old Dacron.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

john2244

I purchased a couple of reels that were spooled with dacron and have been using it as a backing material.  From one reel the dacron line had never been used and I tried to break it and could not.  Line from another reel had been used and I could break it without a problem.  They both seemed to be the same thickness.

John

Keta

John, Dacron deteriorates when exposed to sun similar to mono.

I still use Dacron for backing and making up assist hooks but Spectra is a better material.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

dacron will break down over time.  it's also not as strong as spectra or mono.  not alot of advantages here.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

whalebreath

Quote from: alantani on July 15, 2012, 06:18:17 PM
dacron will break down over time.  it's also not as strong as spectra or mono.  not a lot of advantages here. 
Quite agree however I have found uses for old Dacron-like tying bait cups in crab traps and general bench usage-like everything that was once useful it should never be throw out unless it becomes a physical threat (!)

Bill B

X2...I've got an old spool of 80lb dacron that been used for science projects, tying up fencing (don't ask), practice tying knots, and general string usage (did you know you can fly a kite in wind strong enough to trash the kite on 80 lb?!? ;D)  I've been using old fishing line in general for all the above reasons and using some REAL OLD 20 lb mono for knot practice while waiting for the oldest at football practice.  Just because it's old doesn't mean there is no use for it....some of us on this website might "qualify" for antigue status :o
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dave Bentley

Just because it's old doesn't mean there is no use for it....some of us on this website might "qualify" for antigue status :o
[/quote]

Not me, I'm only 39............................... and a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only believe that which you know to be true.

alantani

um, honestly, i have a spool of dacron, too.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on July 17, 2012, 04:34:47 AM
um, honestly, i have a spool of dacron, too.....   :-\

I still buy it when I'm low, it makes good low cost backing for loading Spectra and it helps reduce spool dammage from mono stretch. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Normslanding

I use it a lot to make wind on leaders. It is not as slippery as Spectra. You do not need to put the Mono/ Fluoro as far into Dacron, and it is a lot cheaper. Also it is easier to put mono in Dacron. Most Dacron is IGFA rated so it breaks below the line rating. On the down side it's about three times the size of Spectra. Izor line and several others still sell Dacron. It has a lot of uses.
Also a lot of Marlin guys still use Dacron.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: dogdad1 on July 15, 2012, 12:16:56 PM
I haven't seen mention anywhere for Dacron line.....  Is it because Dacron has just gone out of style compared to the the newer more-advanced materials and no one uses it anymore?....

Yes, something like that.

Actually, strength vs diameter pound-for-pound and capacity-on-a-reel-wise, Dacron is very similar to mono.

It has very low stretch, relatively low cost, easily spliced, very good resistance to UV rays, and decent knotability.

It was good then, and it is good now.

The fact that new braid lines have even less stretch, are much thinner and far more expensive has already been pointed out.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: TARFU on July 17, 2012, 03:23:43 AM
X2...I've got an old spool of 80lb dacron that been used for science projects, tying up fencing (don't ask), practice tying knots, and general string usage (did you know you can fly a kite in wind strong enough to trash the kite on 80 lb?!? ;D
I lost 180 yds of 20lb of my anchor reel helping my little brother and sister fly a kite behind a golf cart
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

I still use dacron for backing my fly reels cause it doesn't cut your hands up like braid will.And I also use it to make wind on leaders and for just about anything else you don't wanna use the expensive line for.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur