Old Black Penn Senator 3/0 Frame upgrade

Started by MeanMachine, July 15, 2012, 04:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMachine

Can the frames on the Black Penn Senator 3/0, 4/0 & 6/0 be upgraded?  I looked around in the penn tutorials and questions and find lots of good stuff about the drag washer replacements however none about the frame upgrades for these old reels.  Thanks for all your help!

Alto Mare

Yes, check with Alan or Bryan, they might still have some available.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

the black 4/0 and 6/0 will work, but the 3/0 will not.  gotta get bryan to check later.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I think I remember a black 3/0 being upgraded, but don't remember if it was with Newell parts :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I believe the 3/0s are upgradable. So are the drags. I just added a 5+1 ht-100 set in a 3/0 that was just serviced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

A Penn 2/0 was listed on ebay in Dec 2011 with a Tiburon T2 frame for $185.  I've never heard of this one before today.  I just googled it.  As you know, the 2/0 is a narrow version of the black 3/0.  So, maybe there IS a frame for the 3/0.  I'll bet they are hard to find.

Here are several possibilities for upgrading the 4/0 and 6/0 Senators.

This is a 4/0 with a Newell kit.

This Accurate frame on a 114H will also fit the black 114.

Just remember (and you may already know this) the spools that are included with the Accurate, JVariance, and Tiburon frames are for the red "H" high-speed reels.  Buy the frame only, and use your old spool.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Just sold the accurate frame for the 3/0.   I think ala still has a couple o Tiburon frames. I need to check.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

remember that the screw hole pattern for the black 3/0 is different from the red one.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MeanMachine