Penn Peer Monofil 109 question

Started by john2244, July 16, 2012, 08:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

I purchased a very nice GREEN Penn 109 today. Based on the box and 25B catalog the reel seems to be a 1962/63 model.
The drag is "frozen on" to some degree and I am sure that will not be a problem to resolve.  My question is when I engage the gear everything is fine as far as the dog working correctly but when I dis-engage the gear the dog also will dis-engage and the handle will turn backwards.  Any ideas as to what to look for before I open up the reel????
Thanks for your help,
John

alantani

i thought these were supposed to do that?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Well Alan, maybe it is. I have never had a handle go backwards unless I moved second lever, like on a squidder or one of the mariner reels. This reel seems to be in new condition and the drag is working much better now.  I have never owned one of these reels and this one is for my collection.  I will open it up in a day or so and let you know.
John

akfish

Yes, the eccentric lever switched between drag and direct drive (aka "knuckle buster"). Steelhead fishermen liked to fish the reel in direct drive. You can do the same thing with a 310 and a Squidder.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

borchcl

Many of these 109 MF penns were used for fresh water trolling using "NO-BO" trolling line or S/S wire for trolling "Spoonplugs" which ran at a prescribed depth. The system was the brainchild of the late Buck Perry, and it was a very efficient way to fish. I still have several and use them to pull 'Spoonplugs" on occasion.
Charlie

dogdad1

So YOU'RE the guy on eBay!  Saw that sweet reel and was going for it too, til I got a nose-bleed from the price...

Very nice catch, glad it went to a good home.
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown