My small collection

Started by miamipescador, July 16, 2012, 10:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miamipescador

First i would like to thank everyone on this site for providing the great tutorials you do and the help you provide, i really appreciate it and have learned lots the past couple of years from this site. I have never posted much, but i think that is about to change.

I just fixed these reels up for a friend. Used Cal's grease on the drags and penn blue grease on about everything else.
Just posting these up because i plan on adding some to my collection since they are so easy to work on because of their simple bulletproof design.
2 850ss, 1 950ss, 1 4300 ss, 2 114h

I recently acquired 2 reels from another forum and just love them.
First off is a Jigmaster 505 with accuframe, handle, and knob. Have this one paired up with a Gator Glass t90xh heavy rod.. casts upto a pound of lead just dandy.

The second one is a 140 with a red tiburon frame. This little guy is in tip top shape. Have this one paired up with an ugly stick custom 8 foot boat rod that has a butt extension to 9 foot. 5 oz is the sweet spot for this rod and is perfect for the jigmaster.

Here was a fish taken by my gf on the little squidder. Decent 6 poundish jack.

The type of fishing i like to do is from the beach, jetties, piers and bridges. I just like the fact of getting away from it all, and when i do catch a quality fish it makes me feel all the better that i did it from land. The reels and rods i have must be able to CAST, this jigmaster and squidder do just that when paired up with 9 foot conventional rods and 25 or 30 lb mono. I used to be a believer that new gear was the best, and that one needed to have the latest and greatest.... but for the fishing i do i see no reason to spend $200 plus for a reel when i can catch the same fish with an oldschool jigmaster.

Enough rambling, lets continue.
Here we have an Avet LX

9/0 senator. This is my shark reel. It's spooled with 500 yards of 100 lb braid then 200 yards or so of 100 lb mono. Paired up with a 10 foot gator custom.

Calcutta 400bsv

And finally a spinner. Shimano sustain 3000fe with a custom rod i made for my gf

My other passion is rod building. I havent been doing it long but am hooked and like to think that i learn fast and am pretty good at it. Only have a couple rods under my belt so far but here are some pics.

redsetta

That's some nice gear MP - and some great pics.
Cracker job on the rod wrapping too.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Very nice MP, my kind of gear. Nice job on the rods, not bad for a biginner. Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Nice collection.  What reel do you feel cast the best with 25/30# mono the jigmaster or the squidder ???   Also, what 9' rods do you use??
Thanks for the info,
John

miamipescador

Thanks guys.
This one will be here in a couple of days as well. 113h yellowtail special accurate kit. Has stainless steel main gear, yolk and pinion. Accurate frame, power handle and ball knob. With matching USA colors of course ;)

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

miamipescador

Quote from: john2244 on July 16, 2012, 10:53:58 PM
Nice collection.  What reels do you feel cast the best with 25/30# mono the jigmaster or the squidder ???   Also, what 9' rods do you use??
Thanks for the info,
John

One or both of my squidders bearings need replacing while my jigmasters are fine. I use the reels for different applications.. both bottom fishing but i cast out bigger baits with more lead on the jigmaster and smaller baits with max 5-6 ounce on the squidder. I am used to casting avets so casting these reels is a dream, as you know the avets have no cast control whatsoever and these you can actually tighten the spool.

I would say both reels cast great, but the squidder will cast a 4 ounce further than alot of reels i have seen.

For 9 foot rods, there are not alot out there that you can purchase from say bass pro shops. I have a star dlx 49 which was discontinued a while back that was made for pier fishing... 50-80 mono and can cast a pound of lead. You could always pick up this ugly stick
http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-Ugly-Stik-Custom-Boat-Rods/product/16872/56757             (8 footer)
and take it to a local rod builder and ask him to do a butt extension to it. It will make the butt of the rod larger which will allow you to cast and whip the rod further than before

Dominick

How about this site?  Where else can you show off your stuff?  I'm talking about the fishing gear.  ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

MP where have you been hiding??? Some excellent work...never seen a hot rodded 113 BS....like it!
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

spottybastard

Never seen white side plates on any Penn b4...

Where did you get them?  Or how did you make them?

miamipescador

Quote from: spottybastard on July 17, 2012, 07:29:22 PM
Never seen white side plates on any Penn b4...

Where did you get them?  Or how did you make them?
The guy i am buying it from painted them white. He has worked in the machining industry and bought out the stock of a local company that made stainless steel parts when they went out of business.
According to him he uses a Valspar paint for plastics, but that the prepping for the bakealite is his secret.
According to him the paint lasts just as long as the stock.... we will see!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

that's some "small" collection you have there. great pics, thanks for sharing!

Bryan Young

Nice collection and nice wrapping.  I like that black on black.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D